It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:57 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: What stone to add to my lineup?
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

So i have been at a stand Still on which stone to get? it will mostly be used on high end pocket knives and occasionally some kitchen knives or straight razors. i have a DMT XX-Coarse stone that i use to set bevels and then a naniwa 1000/3000 combo stone that i use to finish things and also a naniwa 8000 super stone but is mostly for my razors. i was looking to bridge the gap between the DMT XX-Coarse (120 grit) and the 1000 naniwa. Which would you suggest would be better for this?

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: What stone to add to my lineup?
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

I much prefer the shapton glass stone 500 to the naniwa 400. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shgl500gr.html

Kind Regards,
Mark Richmond
http://www.ChefKnivesToGo.com

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:46 pm 
Site Admin

do the shapton ceramics provide good feedback when sharpening? I made the mistake of buying a spyderco fine benchstone and it feels slippery when shaprening on it and is very hard to flatten.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:46 pm 
Site Admin

The shaptons are hard stones and the cut quick. They have descent feedback but I tend to get better feedback from softer stones and less from harder ones. I like it and use one all the time.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:47 pm 
Site Admin

Also i have been having a problem when i transition from 1000 grit to 3000 grit. 1000 feels sharp, shaves hair comfortably and slices phone book paper clean but when i move up to the 3000 grit stone it does not shave hair , feel sharp or seem to cut as cleanly. I thought i was messing up the angle but i went extra slow and used sharpie for every few passes to make sure i was not going over angle and the problem still exists. any tips on what i could be doing wrong?

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

The naniwa 3K is actually kind of soft so try stropping on that stone (use edge trailing strokes only) and see if that improves your edge. What can happen is the edge can snow plow into the stone and roll your edge instead of cutting the steel and this would solve that problem if that is what's going on.

Kind Regards,
Mark Richmond

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:47 am 
Forum Moderator

In the 300-500 range I really like the 320 Pro. Plenty of feedback and much faster than the 400 Chocera.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

Michiel Vanhoudt wrote:In the 300-500 range I really like the 320 Pro. Plenty of feedback and much faster than the 400 Chocera.

And if you want the Shapton GlassStone instead, the 320 in that series is an awesome stone, cuts 2x faster than the 500, especially with a little slurry. Very fast stone. My current favorite lineup is a 120, 320, 500, 1000. You can skip the 500 and go straight from 320 to 1000 if you want, but this setup will take an edge that is completely dull to sharp in no time flat. Tried and true on MANY different steel types, from old school carbon to exotic stainless.

Also, to reduce some of that slippery feel, lap your stones with a diamond plate first. :)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]