It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:32 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Hey easy on a new guy....but....I need a Gyuto!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:57 am 

Hello all I could some help. How to make such a complicated topic short!? I am a bit new to Japanese knives and all I can say is that this could be a bit of a rabbit hole! :shock:

I purchased a Shun Premier 149mm Nakiri Knife recently and I am happy with it as it does pulverize small veggies very well. I have a set of nice Wusthof knives that have given me good service for many years but I have ventured into Japanese and Chinese cooking, along with gardening, and it is time to make things a little less of a hassle when it comes to food preparation. I now would like a Gyuto, or Kiritsuke/Gyuto, in carbon steel, 210mm or 240mm. I am leaning to the 240mm since Japanese designs the knives are lighter and hopefully well balanced.

My wish list so far;
  • Aogami Super Steel. I picked this steel for the ability to take an edge but also it seems that this steel is tougher and would give good service. I am not wed to this ideal but it seemed like a good place to start.
  • Something that is not a featherweight, but something lighter than my Wusthof that has enough meat on the spine that gives it a little authority.
  • A grind that has a good bevel that is not a hassle to sharpen and would be in the 15 degree range and yet would have an edge that is robust.
  • I do not care for western handles.
  • I would like to go to a clad design that would make the knife a little easier to take care of if possible without breaking the bank.

Knives that I have in mind so far are that are in Super Steel;

Moritaka Gyuto 240mm with a Kurouchi finish ($207) I REALLY LIKE THIS KNIFE!
      Moritaka Damascus Gyuto 210mm ($331)
      Masakage Koishi Gyuto 210mm ($299)
      Moritaka Gyuto 240mm with Kurouchi finish ($207)
      Moritaka Kiritsuke 240mm with Kurouchi finish ($223)

I do not want to spend the $300 that it seem to come with cladding but I do understand one gets what one pays for. I really would like to keep the purchase under $250 so any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a nice full size Maruka, Nakayama Asagi stone and all the Nigura that is necessary to hone most things including sword, if necessary, along with selected Shapton stones and DMT plates to get a bevel going. I would really like to keep maintenance to a minimum when it comes to putting the steel to the stones. I have found through using straight razors I enjoy "using" more than I enjoy "honing". I have a fair amount of experience sharpening knives but would like to stay away from double bevels if at all humanly possible.

Thanks in advance,
Richard

Post subject: Re: Hey easy on a new guy....but....I need a Gyuto!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:13 am 
Site Admin

Hi Richard,

You've picked some good knives and while there are couple more on the site that you could consider these are a perfectly good selection. The 3 others are Takeda's gyuto, the Kanehiro and my Richmond Laser Aogami (which I just sold out)

The Moritaka is an excellent knife and fun to use and less than most of the others. They're a small balcksmith shop in southern Japan and a family operation. They're really fun to use and sharpen so I encourage you to try one. Personally I like the standard gyuto more than the kiritsuke/gyuto.

I have to say you are way ahead of the game since you know how to sharpen. You'll have great fun with whatever you buy on our site since you can get em sharp.

Good luck and please ask any follow ups if you want a direct comparison. There are a bunch of guys on the site that have tried dozens of gyutos so I'm sure you'll get some other suggestions and opinions.

Oh yes, welcome to the forum!

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:28 am 

Thanks for the tips.

R

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:35 am 
Forum Moderator

RIOOSO <> I'm pretty beat so I'm just gonna chime in quickly.

#1: I'm pretty sure every knife on your list is double beveled.

#2: The Masakage Yuki might be a consideration @$220, albeit Shironiko.

#3: You mention, "well balanced." "Well" is relative. Most Germans are balanced damn close to the bolster... most Wa's are not. Doesn't make them not balanced "well", just balanced differently. The laminated AOS Kanehiro is a perfect example. What a beast of a knife! And just an awesome workhorse, albeit huge... for a 240. Sounds like just what you want, but balance will be something for you to acclimate to as its very top heavy. This trait can be an attribute once you acclimate to it, but it feels nothing like the balance of your Wusthof.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

As long as the knife is not handle heavy I usually get accustomed to a knife's balance quickly through just using it.

Like Joseph said, wa handled knives are almost always balanced more forward toward the tip since the handles are ligt and the tangs are slimmer.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:41 pm 

Thanks for the balance perspective. I have used some wa handled knives in the past and I like the balance point a lot not realizing that the balance point was forward a bit.

R

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well, seeing as how you listed the KU Moritaka $207 twice....I think that's a sign. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:19 pm 

Yes I did list it twice but one of them was supposed to be the 210mm version. You are right Adam....I am going to pull the trigger on the 240mm. I think it is the place to start my newest AD. :lol:

Richard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:33 pm 

Thank you everyone this site certainly has a lot of information!

R

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

Nice choice!! :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next