It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:38 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 5 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Looking For My First Real Knife
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:48 am 

Looking for my first "real" knife. Have a pretty random variety of knives in the block right now and am looking to start building a set of real knives. I plan on ordering a set of stones and working on learning to sharpen my own, and have done a little reading on here, but hoping for some help deciding. The knife world is much bigger than I ever imagined and I am trying to take it all in.

It seems like there are more knives available in the Wa but have never used one and I think I'll enjoy the more balanced Yo style. Not sure I'm quite ready for a full carbon knife as I know myself too well when it comes to leaving knives dirty, but will definitely have to change my habits. I'd like to find a Yo style stainless clad/carbon core knife. It seems the Gyuto are the first recommendation and I'm interested in trying one. Looking for something fairly versatile and probably a 240mm. Most of the stuff I have right now is less than 7" and I'd like to have something a little bigger to try and expand on what I do have. Budget would be $100-$200. Any thoughts? Anything else I need to consider or answer for a recommendation?

For stones, I'm looking at the 5 piece set with the 500/1200/5K stones.

Thanks for the wealth of info. A buddy referred me to this site and I'm glad he did.

Post subject: Re: Looking For My First Real Knife
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:31 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome.

Yo
Gyuto
Stainless
1-200

Mac Pro
Masamoto VG
Kikuichi TKC (semi stainless and stretches your budget)
Tojiro DP

All of these would be good ones. Take a look at them and let us know if you have any follow up questions.

For stones we have this that I recommend:http://www.chefknivestogo.com/3pcstoneset.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:44 pm 

Thanks Mark. That stone set is the one I was planning on per your recommendation in my earlier email that you had posted on the sharpening forum.

I guess I'm going to throw a slight wrench in the works. For those who have used Yo style knives for the most part, what are the pros and cons to a Wa style knife? Also, are there more options available and bang for the buck when it comes to carbon blades and/or Wa style knives?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:16 pm 

Hey Nathan! This bunch will get you set in the right direction.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hiromoto AS is Super Blue core (carbon) and clad with stainless and a Western (yo) style handle.

Wa style knives are a bit more blade heavy usually since the Wa handles are normally lightweight for the Ho or Magnolia wood. Rosewood and Ebony Wa handles are a bit heavier. I use both and am starting to lean towards the Wa handles more and more.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:57 pm 

One thing I forgot to ask. On any of these knives, are they considered ready to use out of the box, or is any sharpening required? On any of the knives suggested, are the factory angles good to go, or should I have someone set the angle for me to at least get me started?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:30 pm 

Ok...So right now between the knives posted, I'm looking at the Masamoto VG, Kikuichi TKC, or Hiromoto AS. With the Kikuichi out of stock, I think I'm leaning more towards the Hiromoto AS at this point.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:03 am 
Forum Moderator

IIRC, the Hiromoto's come sharpened and are ready to go out of the box. Most places ship with an 800-1000 grit edge from the factory. I prefer to use Japanese Natural stones on carbon core steels, but others use the factory edge for a while and then go up to a 3K or 4K finish.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

Can't go wrong with a Hiromoto AS....great knife.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:44 pm 

If I stay with the Yo style handle, I'm pretty much set on the Hiromoto AS. The more I read though, the more I wonder if I wouldn't be wise at least trying a Wa handled knife. Thoughts? Would it be worth it to step down a little and try a Wa handled knife in the $70-$100 range and try to figure out which handle I like better before investing in a more expensive knife?

Page 1 of 5 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next