It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:20 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: stone or strop
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:10 pm 

My sharpening kit consist of a 220 norton, shapton 1k and 4k GS ,and then several different grit abrasive films down to .3 micron(which im not fond of). im looking to take it to the next step, but could use some advice. As far as stones go, id like to go the route of a jnat like an"Ozuku Asagi" or "Jyunsyouhonyama", or an 8k snow white if that would be more appropriate. Or on another note, would a strop set with 1micron compound work equally efficient to finish my knifes after a 4k stone finish??
All comments and tips are welcome,
thanks
Jared

Post subject: Re: stone or strop
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

You could probably get as many different opinions as replies. :o

I don't think 4k to a strop is the best plan. I would at least get a finer stone first. But others do, I know.....so again...as many opinions as replies. :)

What finer stone would be the question I'd ask. For me, it's the Naniwa SuperStone 10k. With that stone, nothing following it, and what I have leading up to it, I can make a knife sharper than I'll ever need.

JNat's are a whole beast unto themselves. I slide down that slope once, and I'm back to synthetics. Not that they're bad, or don't work....cause they're not and they do....it's more of a personal preference thing. JNat's are so complex that my head hurt. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

JARED <> I concur, in that, another stone for your lineup is a more logical acquisition. I progress up to a Kityama, Adam & many others love the SS10K, and the Chosera 10K is another icon. The Snow White is a favorite & my next high polish synthetic will be a Nubatama Bamboo as I'm really loving the 1200 I added to my 1200 lineup. I stropped on my Kityama and newsprint loaded Kity well before ever getting a bench strop, and I'd much rather have my Kity then my strops. I love my strops and find they allow me to extend time exponentially between metal shaving sharpenings, but my high polish stone (Kity) is irreplaceable in my lineup.

Six one way, half a dozen another... you know? Opinions are like a$$holes, and every stone will have its own characteristics act differently upon different steel. Get as many as you can, find what you like best, and sell what you can't keep. I tried holding off the Jnats for a long time now, but w/my straight edge fascination growing and my razor burn dilating I had the impetus I needed (read : excuse) to acquire a few. A yoginoshima & an Ozuku are now in the line up, but they're way too new to me to comment.

I suggest a high grit stone. Take your pick...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:32 pm 

a 10k imanishi would be a pretty cheap option as well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:39 pm 

The only advice I feel qualified to give is that I have been happy with every purchase I have made with cktg. I have used and abused every item, I operate with knives that are sharper then I ever dreamed was possible, and I am the knife snob in my town without wanting to be. IMO, anything you are considering wiull satisfy your needs assuming you have done the research, which you have.. .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:08 pm 

So the consensus is another stone obviously. Ill rule out the Jnats for now until I learn more about them, so that leaves a nice selection of 8k and 10k stones to cipher through. Ive narrowed it down to the Numbatamba bamboo 8k, Naniwa SS 8k and 10k, Naniwa snow white 8k, or Kitayama 8k. Chosera is out of my price range and imanishi is OOS. Feedback on any of these stones? Which is the hardest of the bunch? Would getting one of these open the door to effectively stropping at 1micron and .5 micron as a finish and touch up between sharpening?
thanks for all the input!
Jared

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:20 am 

I will kick in a +1 on the Kitayama 8k, I absolutely love this stone! It also works very well with your progression. Then if you want to strop you can go straight to the strop after the Kitayama! That being said, I do not have experience with the other stones, but I have no reason to consider them since I am very happy with the one I have.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'll throw in a 10k Superstone vote. Very soft though, so take that into consideration

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:29 pm 

Ended up ordering the Kitayama 8K, HA leather strop, and .5 diamond spray.. thanks all for the advice!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:12 am 
Forum Moderator

JARED <> I'm curious... which leather?

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next