It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:56 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Masakage Yuki 210 is on it's way to STL
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

CHARCUTERIE <> :shock: Those are strikingly different knives. 210 Wa-Laminated Shirogami, 235 Yo-SV35N, and which Richmond... I'm assuming the San Mai AOS Laser?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:43 pm 

Yes I am aware they are different basically Looking for all around performance as well as sharpness. Maybe even an Addict 2. What would or suggestion be out of the Masakage, Fernandez, Addict 2, Laser 2 Super, Grand Chef?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:44 pm 

Melampus What is the difference between Laminated and San Mai? I understand that in this example one knife is White #2 and one is Aogami Super but there seems to be an implied distinction between laminated and san mai construction.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

Steel - I found this link that might explain the terms. I had to look it up as well. So much new vocabulary to learn :).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_cutlery

BTW - I just had the Yuki 210 out and was comparing to the 210 Artifex. It seemed bigger so I measured in a straight line from the tip to the bottom of the heel (this is how Mark measures, I think). My sample was about 218mm or 8.6 inches. Pretty cool! The heel curves around towards the back and this might account for some of the extra length. I'm not complaining ;).

----------------------
Steve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:23 pm 

When will it be in stock again....anyone know preferably Mark

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:27 pm 

I thought I got one of the last 210 Yukis because the site showed it in stock when I ordered, but in fact they were out. Mark told me about 6 weeks to get more in. I could not wait so I went with the 240. It's on the way!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:46 am 
Forum Moderator

Plumber - Did you get your Yuki 240? What do you think?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

So phuckin pissed. :evil: :x :x :x :x :x :evil:

I wrote a book, and the browser crashed deleting it all. This is the abridged version, and I‘m not happy with it:

CHARCUTERIE <> My point in that they are such extremely different knives is, they are extremely different knives: lengths, heights, steels, profiles, handles… really the only thing alike is they’re all made of steel. To me, ergonomics are most important. I can process food more quickly with a knife made of garbage steel but that has an awesome fit as opposed to an awesome steel that fits Shiity. Point being, listing all of these knives sort of indicates that you are unclear as to what you really like or better yet, need from a knife as they are so different. If I were you, I would do my best to narrow down your list by at least one of the above categories. Just an idea so you can try to buy a knife that fits best.

I preface the following by disclosing I have not owned the knives you list, but I have not for specific reasons as I know what I demand out of a knife. The Addict I will never own as I have no use for a knife that tall. To me, it is a 190mm nakiri with a 50mm point tacked on it. A bunch of bulky unnecessary steel to push around IMO. That is a personal ergonomic issue. Steel wise, it is offered in HD steel & CPM154, and that catapults its value in the running for you. The Takayuki in 210 is a Yo handle and it has way too much belly for me… it’s a no go. The 240-Wa, I Iike its dimensions. I love the AEB-L. You can see it’s not an impeccably finished knife, but at that price point… I like it a lot, and I anticipate acquiring one in the very distant future to see if its really got as much bang for the buck as I suspect. Shaun’s knife. Hey, made to 230mm, a length I love, by hand by an American in the USA of awesome, did I say awesome, steel in a very effective looking profile and functional looking tip. Not much to dislike, but it is Yo handled of which I really don’t buy anymore and its on the upper end of my height preference for a 230. They look great although that swept back heel definitely looks like it would take some acclimating to. The Yuki & the AS-Laser. The Yuki looks great, and I don’t mean aesthetically… that’s neither here nor there with me. Dimensionally, pretty much in proportion to where I think a 210 should be. It looks to have better F&F than the Laser, especially on choil/spine finishing. I also like the sweep of the Yuki tip as opposed to the more straight line Laser. And overall, the Laser looks slightly taller & looks like a slightly beefier knife. Not good or bad, either way… just what jumps out at me. Now AS vs. Shironiko is the question.

That said… if my recommendation matters to you, I would say AS Laser is the most logical choice, the Yuki is the most elegant, and the Kono Addict is a hands down winner IF you can deal with a quasi-cleaver in your Gyuto.

TONY <> “Laminated” is a blanket term for “clad” (“awase” in Japanese). “SanMai” is a style of cladding whereas the “hagane” (hard core steel) surrounds the “jigane” (soft cladding metal), but exposes the cutting edge & the spine, as well. “Warikomi” is a style in which the jigane wraps all the way around the spine. I will illustrate the warikomi awase with a photo of my Carter. If you look at the top of the “emoto” (neck) as is captured in the photo, you will clearly see the hagane in the center of the blade. If this was sanmai-awase, you would see that sandwich all the way down to the tip.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:29 am 

MEL <> Thank you for the clarification! Guess my preference for specificity makes the term laminated to vague. It also carries the negative connotation that I place on woodworking that is laminated.

By the way there was a Fujiyama waiting for me when I got home a few minutes ago... More to follow...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:46 am 
Forum Moderator

TONY <> ;)

Page 2 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next