It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:54 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tanaka VS Takeda VS Moritaka
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Mark

I've been looking at your site for a while, first to get information on the knife I wanted to buy, and now I'm wondering about ordering from you. Is it okay to ask a few questions?

I live in South Korea and recently visited Japan, which is why I initially looked for info on your site. I'd planned on buying what I wanted in Japan, but there couldn't really find it. First, I'm wondering if you know about approximate shipping charges to South Korea? Also, have you shipped here before (and I doubt you'll know, but I'll ask in case) have you heard of any issues receiving here (duties, tax, delays...)?

I'm a home cook and won't use my knife professionally, although I have cooked professionally before and can care for high-end knives/steel. I've had my eye on perhaps 3 models, all 240cm gyutos: first the Moritaka and Takeda. I like the wider blade on the Takeda (to me it looks more like a large santoku, doesn't it), but of course would prefer the lower price of the Moritaka. However, I can't see them in person. How would you compare the weight and balance of the two? Which is the heavier/lighter of the two? (You list some specs for the Moritaka, but not the Takeda.) Also, I'm wondering to what excent the rougher finish of the Takeda would allow sliced vegs to fall off rather than stick, much like a hammered blade would? Is the quality of the wood/handle similar between the two? Finally, I believe both are AS and might both hold their edges in a similar way and both be very sharp. Would you agree?

The third knife I've had my eye on is your damascus Tanaka 240 Gyuto with the ironwood handle. I did find this one in Japan (a shop in Kappabashi, Tokyo; you've probably been there?). The weight/balance blade shape all felt great and of course it's a real stunner, though quite expensive. I know you're out of stock on this one, and I think I've submitted an 'email me when back in stock' request, but when do you expect to get it again? What might get me to go for the Takeda or Moritaka instead is also the steel. I'd expect the SG-2 Powdered Steel (HRC 62 you say this is made of to be easier to care for, but is it as sharp as the two others? How's the edge retention?

One more question - based on the above, am I overlooking any other knife? I like the appearance of all 3 rustic or beautiful, as with the Tanaka. I've already got more conventional-looking chefs knives, and so appearance is also a factor.

... And one final question. Are sayas available for any of these? If so, how much would you charge?

Thanks for any help/input. Hard to get knives like this in any other way but over the net, but also strange to buy something that you physically what to hold and use first.

Kevin
Seoul

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Tanaka VS Takeda VS Moritaka
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Kevin,

We don't send very many knives to South Korea but we can do it. We use US Postal and they link with your local postal service. I have no idea about customs charges there but we can put 1/2 the value on the invoice to lessen any charge.

The 3 knives you are looking at are all good. I think you should try the Takeda. I love the height of the blade. It's thin, light and performs really well. We do sell a saya for this one and you can buy it here:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tashcoso.html

The Tanakas just came into the shop today so we have them if you want to try this knife. It's outstanding as well.

Kind Regards

Mark Richmond

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, Mark

Yes, no probs about posting my question. Thanks for asking.

How would you compare the hardness/sharpness/edge retention of the Tanaka to the Takeda/Moritaka - the powdered steel vs the AS?

Oh, and how expensive would you expect shipping of one knife to S.Korea to be?

Kev

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Kev,

SG-2 is more difficult to sharpen and holds its edge better than aogami super steel in my experience. Edge retention is a key attribute with SG-2 along with the fact that it's stainless.

We do ship to your country and the shopping cart will give you an accurate shipping quote based on the weight of the items and your address. All you need to do is place the items in the cart, put your shipping address in the fields and choose "International" for the shipping method and then hit the "Apply" button.

We ship via USPS Priority International Mail. We also put 1/2 the value on the invoice to lessen any customs you may be charged. If you have different instructions for us please write them in the "Comments" box during the checkout process.

My wild guess is it will cost about $25-$30 to ship to you.

Kind Regards,
Mark Richmond
http://www.ChefKnivesToGo.com

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:12 am 

For what it's worth, I recently picked up a Moritaka KS from CKTG. I really like it and particularly the profile as I am quite fond of the French Sabatiers (yes Mark, I still owe you a review). That said, the kuro uchi finish did not last long but then, based on reviews, I was not expecting it to. The knife itself is terrific, if a bit rustic. I really like the profile and it really does have a wicked edge. I wonder if Mark would chime in and also suggest you look at the Masamoto KS line as well? I also wonder how the Masamoto KS line would compare to the Moritaka KS, particularly on sharpness and edge retention? Anybody else want to give this a stab?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:43 pm 

Thanks for the replies so far, Mark & Chester. Still undecided and now have my eye on the Konosuke Gyuto White #2 http://www.chefknivestogo.com/konosuke8.html as well as a Masamoto KS, following Chester's suggestion. ... Any feedback from anyone? Wondering about the steel on all these knives: their sharpnesses and how they keep their edges, mostly. Not sure about the Masamoto KS's and what type of white steel there are either - #1 or 2?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:56 am 

Hi Kevin

I have two of the three knives you mention and I absolutely LOVE my ironwood knives - they are simply magnificent and I have a full set know with zero regrets

You will be unlikely to find anyone better than Mark to do business with in the knife arena - he is brilliant to deal with and a very helpful and knowledgeable person

Good luck

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:58 pm 

I'd suggest the Takeda. They are some hungry hungry cutters. I love them.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]