It is currently Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:28 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Busy day in the Shop!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:39 am 
Forum Moderator

Well, I finally got to work in my shop. I dropped down to 2nd shift last week to train some new guys for a month or so at work, so my schedule is pretty messed up and I got pretty much nothing done last week. Hopefully this week will be a bit better.

I have a Swap Meet and 2 Game Dinners coming up the 9th and 10th of March, so I am trying to get stuff done to sell at the Swap Meet and also to donate as raffle prizes. Except for the VG-10 Damascus petty 120mm, these blanks are all under $20, so these are fairly cheap blades.

6" AUS-8A chefs knife, 6" Green River Boning knife, 6 3/4" Fillet Knife. Handle Material is Dymondwood (Green, Blue, Red, Walnut):

Raffle prize for one of the Game Dinners. 7 3/4" chefs knife, 6" chefs knife, 3.5" paring knife in AUS-8A steel, Blue, Black and Walnut Dymondwood:

120mm VG-10 Damascus Petty Stabilized Spalted Maple Burl, Green Canvas/Black Linen Laminate Fillet Knife, 7 3/4" Chefs knife with white handle material with black/blue/black layer in the middle, I think it may be a G10 material?

Next up is a knife for Paradox!! M390 210mm Artifex, reground/thinned/convexed, Stabilized Spalted Maple Burl:

Choil shot!

Next up is another project. Takayuki Grand Chef 240mm Western gyuto, converting it to a Wa gyuto. I removed the bolsters and then sanded/blended the bolster area into the blade. Handle will probably be Redwood Burl Ferrule and Black Redwood handle in an Octagon with a SS spacer.

Post subject: Re: Busy day in the Shop!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:53 am 

Nice!! Some great looking stuff there for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

The M390 Artifex and Spalted Maple Burl epoxied on:

Some sanding and buffing:

Contour shot:

Gotta clean up some things here and there, get a few coats of finish on it, etc, but it's getting there! Really nice wood, too!

This is the block of Burl that the handle is from:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:46 pm 

Oh my. Doesn't that look nice. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:08 pm 

Beautiful Tim...Just beautiful! :shock:
I'm jealous Paradox!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:51 am 
Forum Moderator

I am hoping to work on finishing up Paradox's Artifex tomorrow, converting a 240mm Artifex to accept a Moritaka Wa handle (really beautifully done D shape handle, very impressed with it!!), and work more on the Grand Chef conversion.

Had to see the accountant today to get the tax refund coming in. I've been working on a project for a guy in Tx and finally made some progress!!

Top is a 11" blade, middle is around 8.5-9", bottom is 6" blade, .110" thick AEB-L, Heat Treated to 60 Rockwell. I got the blanks back and did all of the grinding on these 3 today, and got the Micarta handles epoxied on this evening. These are also on the docket to be finished up tomorrow, good thing I have the whole day off!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well, it was another full day in the shop today!

Finished the clean up on Paradox's handle, started doing the Tung Oil finish on it. Just needs to be sharpened and a few more coats of finish!

Remember all of those other knives? Now they just need sharpening!

Here is a 240mm Artifex that I thinned out behind the edge and converted to accept a Moritaka Wa D shape handle. Handle is pretty nice, looks like Rosewood and Ebony ferrule maybe? Really good workmanship on the handle!

These are the big fillet knives, finally done except for the sharpening! 11" Giant, 8" Trophy, 6" Schoolie in AEB-L. I used different Micarta handles and I am going to go with the Black Canvas in 1/4" thick scales for these. Has the most grip when wet, even after being buffed.

The 11" Giant:

The 8" Trophy:

6" Schoolie:

The handle on the Schoolie in terms of size and shape will be the one I will be going with when Lamson makes these up for me!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:39 pm 
Forum Moderator

You are a beast man! Very nice! :D

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:48 am 

i love those big fillet knives! are they stuff or bendy?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:14 am 
Forum Moderator

Very stiff for the fillet knives. Customer down in Texas goes on Long Range fishing trips (2-10 day tuna trips) and they want something stiff to go thru the fish. I did a prototype in 1095 earlier this year, but it was too flexy. These are much stiffer, the tip flexes out of true around 1/2 on the 8", 3/4" on the 11" and barely flexes on the 6" with moderate pressure.

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next