It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:41 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Nanocloth care/maintenance
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:46 am 

Hi. I have a few questions for Ken or anyone else who has some experience with nanocloth and polyspray.

I just purchased some of the nanocloth and .050 poly. I'm interested in using it to strop both my straight razors and carbon kitchen knives. I know that with experience, i'll get to know the polydiamond properties better but i thought i'd ask a few questions anyway.

How often do you find that you need to refresh or add more spray to the cloth?

As i use the cloth, metal residue will build up in it. Is there a suggested method i can use to clean the metal residue from the nanocloth?

What is the minimum grit that i should be using before the .050 (ie: 8k, 10k, 15k)?

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Nanocloth care/maintenance
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:26 am 

I don't think there is a minimum stone to use before the strop. Try it different ways till you find the combo you like. For most of my kitchen knives I go to 6k and then strop. Sometimes 8k or 13k/15k/16k. The finest spray I have is .10 CBN it's on a nano cloth strop. I have balsa strops filled with 1.0 BC and .5 CO which I tend to use after the stones then the .1 CBN on the nano to finish. Touch ups are on the .1 CBN nano cloth. By varying the ending stone grit and the strop used you can get very differing results. It's fun. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:06 am 
Forum Moderator

I'd precede the 0.050 poly with a 0.25 particle (quarter micron), although I often do a smaller jump at 0.1. My preference for straight razors would be the CBN 0.25, followed by 0.25 poly diamond for the smoothest shave without giving up sharpness.

I add more spray to the nanocloth as needed - and very little is needed. I have yet to clean any swarf accumulated on the nanocloth, but will try some options to find out (good question). My first guess would be filtered water, since regular water has particulates in it that may interfere at this level of fineness. Ideally deionized water, but I may be getting too fanatic. I would NOT consider sanding it down or anything like that at all.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:19 pm 

Hi Ken! Thanks for your reply. It would be great to hear back about cleaning the nanocloth of metal swarf. One can actually see it collecting after time. Your suggestion of using distilled water makes sense, and maybe gently rubbing it away with one's finger. The cloth is nice stuff and not that cheap, so i want to be able to use it at it's best and keep it well maintained for razor use.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

Use a very clean finger. Most dirt and air particles are coarser than the grit. It should last some time even though it turns black.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]