It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:43 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Question About MadRookie's Method
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:38 am 

Getting ready to try out MadRookie's stop collar method. I have the Edge Pro Pro with stock EP stones from 120 through the tapes.
Would you use the tape as a finishing stone just like a normal stone?

Post subject: Re: Question About MadRookie's Method
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:45 am 
Forum Moderator

Yes, but do the following:
1. Raise the angle arm just a hair's breadth when you go the the tapes.
2. Only use edge trailing strokes to prevent the tape being cut.
3. The tapes respond well with very soapy water.

Enjoy.

:)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:34 pm 

Hey, MR, how's it going?
Another question, what about the comment from the guy about having the knife on the machine when you do the degree settings?
Would this make any difference, or would any difference be too small to amount to much. Many thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:47 pm 

Also, I have the set of stock Edgepro stones, 120, 220, 400, 600, 1000, and the tapes.
They seem to be the same thickness, except for the 400 which is thicker than any of the others.
Will the collar still work, and would I still begin by setting the table to the finishing stone. When I get to the 400, it will be thicker, then when I switch to the 600 it thins down and pretty well matches the rest in thickness.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:14 pm 

Yes. That is the correct way to use the collar.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:16 am 
Forum Moderator

Raibeaux wrote:Hey, MR, how's it going?
Another question, what about the comment from the guy about having the knife on the machine when you do the degree settings?
Would this make any difference, or would any difference be too small to amount to much. Many thanks.

Setting the degrees with the blade resting on the blade table will give you a truer reflection of the desired set angle.

Setting the angle without the blade will normally be slightly more acute (normally 1 to 3 degrees off) depending on the blade thickness, width etc.

Most of my gyutos come in at just under 2 degrees less than the actual angle cube reading when setting up without the blade on the table - I just compensate for this - too much hassle to measure with the blade on the table.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:12 pm 

So if you're going for accurate 15* with a gyuto, you would set machine for around 17? Around 16 with a suji?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yep, something like that, although I first measure each blade to get an actual true reading, then record it in my data base for next time round.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:07 pm 

Would be nice to come up with some sort of numbered graduated-line sticker for the side of the table knife guide, and an etched line across the guide itself.
??

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:18 pm 

I hope I'm not doing wrong posting this twice. If so, please excuse my hysteria.

Hi. DMT arrived and works fine and pretty fast.
Here is my progress update on the Forschner:
NOT GOOD>
First, the knife is dull after all the work. Doing something wrong.
Set the machine at 15*, got a burr. Changed to 17* and went through the stones, no burrs.

A few minutes ago I re-read the directions (original idea), and it said there should have been a 5-6* difference, where I had a 2*. Evidently for a 17* edge I should have started the reprofile at around 12 or should have gone for 20*-21* from the 15*. I think I'll first try just changing to the 20 and see what happens.

Also, I'm getting a lot of dishing, half-moon shape starting about a half-inch from the heel, extending about two inches.

A big question I have is about my stones. Here is my situation, don't know if it's normal or what.

I have the stock EP stones. 120,220,400,600, and 1000 plus the 2000 and 6000 tapes. Thickness of the stones vary as such:
The 120 is a little thicker than the 220.
The 220 is a little thicker than the 400.
The 600 and the 1000 and the tape are thicker than the others, but pretty much even with the 120.
So, when I sharpen, I start with the 120, go down in thickness to the 220, go down in thickness again to the 400, then thickness goes back up for the 600 and 1000 and the tape, which are the same thickness. Down to 220...down to 400... then up to 600 and 1000 and tape.

Do these variences make a difference? Up and down?
Would I still do the madrookie drill stop collar thing starting with the finishing tape

If I discount small differences, the starting 120 is really the only one that is a lot thicker.

I think later today I'll just change the EP to 20*, and start over on the stones and see what happens. Should be plenty of metal already removed from the original botch job.

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next