It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:37 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Chromium O3, Boron Carbide, Cubic Boron Nitride...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:32 am 

Chromium Oxide paste vs. Boron Carbide paste vs. Cubic Boron Nitride spray vs. Mono-Crystalline Diamond spray vs. Poly-Crystalline Diamond spray oh my, :shock: oh my, :shock: oh my :shock: !!! :?

I read the sharpening forum searching for the answers to the questions of life. ;)

In my quest for the truth I have hoped to run across a discussion regarding the differences between the various stropping compounds such as Chromium Oxide paste vs. Boron Carbide paste vs. Cubic Boron Nitride sprays vs. Mono-Crystalline Diamond sprays vs. Poly-Crystalline Diamond sprays. If this has already been covered somewhere please point me in the direction of these answers. :?

Are some of these compounds geared more for razors vs. knives? :ugeek:
Are some of these compounds geared more for smoothing/polishing vs. toothy/biting blades? :ugeek:
Are some of these compounds geared more for stainless steel vs. carbon? :ugeek:
Are they all the same? :geek:

I see four options for a 1 micron stropping compound:
Boron Carbide paste,
Mono-crystalline Diamond spray,
Poly-crystalline Diamond spray,
Cubic Boron Nitride spray

I see three options for a .5 micron stropping compound:
Chromium Oxide paste
Mono-crystalline Diamond spray
Cubic Boron Nitride spray

I get that 1 micron is more or less equal to a Shapton 15K grit on the Grand Unified Grit Chart. This leads my simple mind to assume that all the 1 micron stropping compounds would have a 15-16K grit finish. However the 1 micron Mono-crystalline Diamond spray lists a 30K grit finish. What am I missing here?

Also the .5 micron Chromium Oxide paste and Mono-crystalline Diamond spray both indicate a 60K grit finish while the .5 micron Cubic Boron Nitride spray indicates a 32K grit finish. Is there a different formula to derive grit finishes between the Chromium Oxide paste vs. Boron Carbide paste vs. Cubic Boron Nitride spray vs. Mono-Crystalline Diamond spray vs. Poly-Crystalline Diamond spray stropping compounds?? What's going on with these numbers?

How does a Chromium Oxide paste finish differ from a Boron Carbide paste finish vs. a Cubic Boron Nitride spray finish vs. a Mono-Crystalline Diamond spray finish and a Poly-Crystalline Diamond spray finish??????

Help please.

Post subject: Re: Chromium O3, Boron Carbide, Cubic Boron Nitride...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:34 am 

Ive been wondering the same things, really looking forward to the answers to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:28 am 
Forum Moderator

Here's a small tidbit of your question:

GRIT Microns
100 - 165
120 - 125
220 - 74
400 - 45
600 - 30
1000 - 20
1200 - 15
1800 - 9
3000 - 6
8000 - 3
16000 - 1
30000 - 0.5
160000 - 0.1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:16 am 

The HA 1 Micron and .5 Micron Diamond sprays descriptions state that they provide a 30,000 and 60,000 grit finish respectively. The HA .25 Micron Diamond spray lists a 120,000 grit finish. These descriptions are only on the 2oz. spray bottles, the 4oz. spray bottles make no statement as to the grit finish provided.

So the HA diamond spray descriptions should read 1 Micron provides a 16,000 grit finish, .5 Micron provides a 30,000 grit finish and the .25 Micron provides a 60,000 grit finish... correct?

Any feedback on the questions regarding the differences in the finishes provided by each product.

Sounds like Chromium Oxide and Boron Carbide are not as hard as vanadium carbide while Cubic Boron Nitride or Mono and Poly-Crystalline Diamond are harder than vanadium carbide. More to follow, sleep calling...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:57 am 
Forum Moderator

I depends on what grit rating you are using. 0.5µ is 30.000 grit in the Japanese grit rating Shapton uses for instance, but is completely different when compared to ANSI or anything else.

check this grit for help: the-grand-unified-grit-chart-t592.html

As far as compounds for knives and razors, I'll come back on this shortly. There's a big difference for me.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:48 am 

Thanks Michiel,
The grand unified grit chart was where I started while trying to reconcile how/why the HA products have different grit resolutions from Ken's products at 1, .5 and .25 microns.

It appears that the HA grit finish levels do not reconcile with the grand unified grit chart. Although since I am new to these compounds I figured I must be missing something.

I look forward to hearing about the differences, and similarities, in how all these stropping compounds perform on razors and knives. Do these compounds perform any differently when used on carbon and the harder stainless steels?

Thank you in advance!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yes. In general CBN, BC and diamond (poly and mono) cut the fastest. They are all suitable for knives, but for razors some compounds can lead to a harsh edge, and can give you a very good HHT (hanging hair test) result, but it's actually a false positive and you will end up with a harsh edge, regardless of the HHT level.

For razors, I only use 0.5µ CrO, 0.3µ AlOx, 0.125 CBN. I've only shaven off smaller compound honed razors, haven't tried them myself, but it was absolutely great imo.

As far as knives go, pretty much any compound works, it all depends on the steel and hardness. I like CBN on pretty much everything, but 1µ Boron carbide is my go-to touch up compound.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:15 am 

Thanks Michiel. Do you have a compound preference for white carbon following a Yaginoshima Asagi natural stone?

Thanks for your feedback!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have a Yaganishima Asagi and love it for my knives. Very nice stone.

I really like 0.25µ Hand American diamond spray afterwards.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:55 pm 

Thank you for sharing your experience. I've been waiting for the stop kit to come back in stock, looks like the honing base is the missing ingredient.

This kind of experience helps alleviate the questions that creep in when trying to decide among similar products.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]