It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:17 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Honesuki or Hankotsu..........
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:49 am 

I figure if I needed info on the differences and pro cons of these 2 knives, this would be the perfect place to ask this question. Is the Honesuki just more versatile as a boning knife or is there more to it? What do u guys prefer and why? Thanks in advance........ I know all you CKTG veterans will be more than helpful in ur expert advice!

Post subject: Re: Honesuki or Hankotsu..........
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:11 am 

honesuki is designed for poultry, incidentally garasuki is a knife designed for larger poultry.

a hankotsu is more designed for pork, beef, and anything else that needs deboning.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:34 am 

And both are funny knives. Please notice however Western butchering requires a thin, soft blade, like a désosseur.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:48 am 

I believe that I read somewhere that the Hankotsu was designed for "hanging butchering". Skinning, gutting and deboning of animals.
The Honesuki as franzb69 mentioned was designed for deboning smaller poultry. A knife with similar versatility to the western boning knife.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:35 am 

the hankotsu is the closest you can compare a stiff western bonign knife minus the double bevel. i have a hankotsu and i quite like it.

if you want the best of both worlds of getting a japanese blade while having a western profile, get the tojiro dp gokujo western boning knife.

i'm thinking of getting one just to compare a hankotsu and the gokujo.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

The honesuki's I've seen are thinner at the edge than the hankotsku. The Honesuki works better as a "normal" knife when needed too....the hankotsu, for lack of a better explanation, is like a super thick, very asymetrically ground petty. I have both and I enjoy using both. The honesuki for birds and the hankotsu for beef/pork.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:02 pm 

Helpful as always, Thanks to those who responded. Looks like im going to purchase both. Now i just need to decide which ones..............

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/misono6.html

and

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kielcaho15.html

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:30 pm 

i have a lefty misono hankotsu in swedish steel. excellent knife! =D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:53 pm 

Not to derail you once you've made your decision but I thought I'd offer my $0.02.

I was in your shoes about a year ago and chose the hankotsu route for a couple reasons. I had the benefit of being a kitchen where my coworkers had both so I got to do some practical research. Here's what I found:

1. The hankotsu can do everything the honesuki can but not the other way around. Keep in mind, I'm not saying it does it better necessarily. But if you're on a budget, I think this is something to consider.

2. Because of the thickness of the blade and it's ability to handle bone, the hankotsu made an excellent "mini deba" for small fish.

3. The height of the blade makes the hankotsu much more nimble. But in the spirit of avoiding the dreaded kitchen unitasker, the honesuki can easily be used as a petty whereas the hankotsu...not so much.

4. One thing the hankotsu does better than a honesuki for poultry is handling skin. The slight curvature of the hankotsu blade makes removing fat from poultry skin a breeze. The honesuki, I'm sure with practice, could accomplish the same thing, but there's definitely a learning curve there.

Again, sorry if I made this more confusing. Just thought I'd offer some insight from a pro kitchen perspective.

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next