It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:43 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Masakage Yuki 210 is on it's way to STL
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:32 am 
Forum Moderator

After much research on the CKTG website and on this forum, after looking at videos, after looking at specs, after looking at reviews, after more research, after really thinking about what I wanted, after probably over-analyzing the heck out of it....

I finally ordered my 2nd J-Knife - a Masakage Yuki 210 Gyuoto :). http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mayugy21.html
I was just about ready to pull the trigger yesterday when I pulled up the 240 Yuki Gyuto page and saw that Mark had just posted a video on this knife. That sealed the deal. I must have procured one of the last 210's - just saw they are now out of stock.

I have an Artifex 210 AEB-L Gyuoto that I have been using to hone my sharpening skills on the Edge Pro Apex with Shapton GS stones. I love the Artifex, but after sharpening a friend's hand made carbon steel wa handled knives (a story for another time), I knew that a hand forged carbon knife was in my future :mrgreen:.

For anyone that is trying to decipher all this great information and make a sound decision on their first, or their next knife, here is my reasoning behind making this choice:

Background:
I consider myself an advanced home cook (probably still only have about 5% of the knowledge and skills that real pro chefs like Melampus and others here possess).
I'm left-handed with medium sized hands.
My counter space is a bit limited for a 240mm to be my regular knife. (Have a 10" Victorinox chefs knife to tackle larger, tougher jobs).
I cook a lot for my family and friends and via the Artifex I learned just how more enjoyable a really, really sharp well designed knife can make food prep duties and cooking in general.

Needs/Requirements and Wants (OK mostly wants):
210mm Gyuto with ambidextrous handle or something I could sand down if needed (on cheaper knives).
A little taller blade than the Artifex with a profile for mostly push cutting for also rocking for parsley, herbs, etc.
Good all around cutting performance with some convex and thinness behind the edge and good non-stick properties. (Thanks Knife Fanatic!)
High quality carbon steel, Wa handle, medium to light weight, hand forged or at least a lot of character (rustic or otherwise).
Something I can't wait to pull out of the knife drawer and use/admire the craftsmanship for years to come.

Mark has repeatedly recommended the Masakage Yuki line in the forums and the more I looked at them the more they grew on me. Once I went to the Masakage web site and learned about their processes and philosophy, this just added to the list of pluses.

I seriously considered the following knives, first choice to last:

#1: Masakage Yuki Gyuto 210 - At the upper end of my price range, but great steel, great profile, nice handle, stainless cladding that has character, and it looks so damn cool! Mark really likes this knife and that carries a lot of weight for me.

#2: Tanaka Sekiso Damascus 210 Gyuto - Great performer, less expensive, and Shaun loves his 240, but based on reviews I thought the extra $$ for #1 would also get me a much nicer handle.

#3: Upcoming Richmond Laser Aogami Super 210 (Based on video review of 240 model) - Really, really tempting.

#4: Tanaka Kurouchi 210 Wa-Gyuto - Very good performing knife at a very reasonable price. This was my #1 for a while before I decided to kick my budget and quality up a few notches.

#5: Goko Gyuto 210 - This would probably have been #2 or #1 if I had larger hands (bigger handle on this one).

#6: Moritaka Supreme Gyuto 210 - Blade profile seems a bit flat for my requirements.

I know this post is a bit long winded, but hopefully this information might help other in their decision making process. Thanks to Mark and Shaun for the videos and forum posts. Thanks to Tim in CT, Mel, Adam, and many others for all the great info in these forums.

I can't wait to try this thing out!

P.S. Mark - the list of retailers on Masakage's website does not include CKTG! You need to be on that list (at the top :) ).

Post subject: Re: Masakage Yuki 210 is on it's way to STL
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:33 am 
Forum Moderator

I should have proof read better - sorry for the misspellings on Gyuto.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:40 am 
Forum Moderator

STEVE <> I don't think anyone minds your misspelling. ;) And it was far from long winded, articulate your thoughts.

Congratulations on your order, and I hope you love your new knife.

Good eye on the Masakage retailer list. Hope Mark sees this quickly...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

Congrats on the order...I'm sure you'll love that knife.

Pics when it shows up.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

Thanks Adam,

I'm a pro photographer/videographer, so I'm going to try and capture this thing in all it's glory and create some really nice product shots. I just have to resist using it long enough to shoot it while in pristine condition :-)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:42 am 
Site Admin

This line is going to be perpetually out of stock once the word gets out on these. They are sweeeet knives.

Adam, you want to try a couple?

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:46 am 

If Steve got the last 210 Masakage Yuki, then I got the second to last. From my thread carbon wa gyuto finalists, I got down to the Goko and the Masakage. I can't lie. I was seduced by the appearance of the Masakage ( love at first sight?) but needed more info. Mark's video gave me what I needed to pull the trigger. Eagerly awaiting in Nashville. Boy, Mark was not kidding when he told me product would fly off the shelves once a video was posted! Will also share impressions after putting it through the paces. Thanks Mark!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:27 am 
Forum Moderator

Ordered on Monday afternoon - arrived today, Thursday afternoon.

Holy Guacamole, Batman! This thing is really cool! Almost too pretty to use. I setup the lights and took some beauty shots and closeups. They are posted in the photos section - check 'em out!

The finish on this knife is really unique - what a great looking piece of craftsmanship. I hope it performs as good as it looks.

--------------
Steve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

Awesome...glad you like it.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:18 pm 

I am in the same boat right now. After researching this knife it might be this one....Does anyone know when it will be back in stock

Also considering the Richmonds as well as the new Fernandez

Page 1 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next