It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:17 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Todays Haul
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:41 pm 

If you look carefully, no Richmond Addicts or other fancy knives will be found in this lot, it's a typical assortment.

When I first started really getting serious about sharpening and opening a business, I thought that every single knife needed a 10,000 or 15,000 grit edge, whatever I had at that time, I used them all.

Now I realize that it isn't necessary and many knives will benefit from a 3k edge, it will certainly satisfy my customers, heck, a 1k edge is often quite nice. I do take many knives up to 10k but my normal stop is the 5k or 6K

Post subject: Re: Todays Haul
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:59 pm 
Site Admin

HI Peter,

Are those forschners on the middle right?

Also, what do you use to sharpen primarily?

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:49 pm 

Yes they are Forschners Mark.

I will free hand sharpen every knife using the following steps.
1. Repair any damaged edges with a belt sander or Atoma 140
2. For knives that are quite dull, establish bevels on the Atoma 140
3. 400 Naniwa Chosera or 500 Shapton Glass
4. 1k Sigma Power Select II or the 1k Chosera
5. 3K Sigma Power Select II or a 2k Shapton Glass
6. Finish on either a 4k Imanishi, 5k Chosera or 6k Arishiyama

Every knife will take about 20 min .

I use the Edge Pro for certain knives such as a birds beak paring and I use it for serrated knives too. (In combination with a ceramic rod and other and micro abrasives wrapped around the rod.

Thank you for asking

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:57 pm 

I meant to mention that my Shapton Glass 500 has about 3 months to live. I plan on picking up a Latte 400 next, I watched Shaun using it, if he likes, I like it :).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:06 am 

Sailor wrote:I meant to mention that my Shapton Glass 500 has about 3 months to live. I plan on picking up a Latte 400 next, I watched Shaun using it, if he likes, I like it :).

I have a "Latte 400" too. Super stone.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:59 am 
Forum Moderator

No, I think it's Naniwa that makes the Super Stone...

(Please don't beat me)

:mrgreen:

Peter, it's been an honor to watch you on knife forums and here, how much respect you show everyone and how much you share with people, I feel like I do so little to help the community some times compared to guys like you and Adam. I have very much respect for you sir. :)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:03 am 
Forum Moderator

The classic box-o-knives. 3k Is plenty for all those blades imo.

I need to test drive that latte.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:27 pm 

Peter, it's been an honor to watch you on knife forums and here, how much respect you show everyone and how much you share with people, I feel like I do so little to help the community some times compared to guys like you and Adam. I have very much respect for you sir.

Shaun those are very kind words, thank you. I've never thought of myself as giving anything to the community except for a few laughs perhaps. Like others I suppose, this is the only place that I can come and talk about knife sharpening, personally, I don't know anyone who is interested, it's not like me and some buddys will sit down over a few beer and discuss scratch patterns and Suehiro Rika's. (Not that I haven't tried). By the way Shaun you are too hard on yourself, I learn from you quite frequently, if I do, so do others.

Another mistake and lesson learned:
Michiel for example is telling me that a 3K finish is all that is required for these knives. I never understood this and in fact, to this day I am not absolutely sure why a Shun or Global or any knife will not benefit from a 5k finish.
I did a little experiment with a chef recently, sharpened 2 identical knives, one at 1k (Chosera) and one at 5K (Chosera) and asked him to let me know, after a week of use on the line which knife he preferred. When I saw him again he eagerly held up the 1k knife. In my case, I sharpen for approximately 15 chefs, and almost everyone of them prefers a highly polished edge. So I just did one for one of them here and asked him to let me know how he likes it.
I sharpened it to 16,000 grit, the bevels looked like liquid, my wife again pretended to be impressed, then I put a micro bevel of 2,000 grit on one side of the edge, (one side only). I'm not sure he will even notice a difference but it's cool trying these things out. (In my head, this could be a nice blend of grits that will result in an edge that is functional for proteins and vegetables.....I know however that this is likely not the case)
Apart from the chefs, the other customers are just happy to have their knives returned to them sharp, I think I could give them back to them with a 400 edge and they would be thrilled in most cases. ( I know that in some cases, the husband will come and pick up the knife thinking "I could have done these myself, the only reason you have them is because my wife kept nagging at me to get them sharpened" I get those looks sometimes, from the guys who have using a steel on the same knife for the last 10 years and when it doesn't sharpen it, they just press harder)

This is a link to my Blog where I talked about Steeling:
http://sharpener-pete.blogspot.ca/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ya know, it's kinda funny. I notice a 2k edge will last longer on a poly board, any higher and it dulls too fast, but higher refinement on a wooden board might last longer, depending on the steel. My girlfriend's Tojiro DP (vg-10) gets sharpened a whole lot, I've put every kind of edge on it. 1k and 2k edges take better to the rigors of poly boards, but a soft maple board can pull out the teeth if you don't go refined enough... but then again, a larger carbide steel will suffer from an edge too refined..... lol So many variables to contend with!

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]