It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:30 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kitchen knife recommendation for a knife novice
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:34 pm 

As far as steeling, forget the Shun steel. The Idahone Fine http://www.chefknivestogo.com/idahone.htm ceramic rod will work fine if you want to hone your knives.
You can also strop your knife on a fine stone to touch it up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:48 am 

the petty will be able to do some minor boning work for you as well if you need a boning knife.

Last edited by franzb69 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:13 am 

Right! At this point I'm spoilt for choice & good advice! Thanks so much everyone. I think I can end up making some excellent decisions with all the good info here!
regards
Carleen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:01 am 
Forum Moderator

CARLEEN <> I strongly agree with Desol's Artifex M390 recommendation though I'd never waste the $80 on that bling of a handle. M390 is a third generation powder metalurgy stainless steel, a super steel, with extraordinary edge retention... perfect for you. It is harder to sharpen, but I think worth the effort in your application. With all due respect to Desol, I strongly disagree with his Henkels recommendation. This knife has a full bolster which eliminates your ability to sharpen the blade to the heel after a bit of steel is removed from the cutting edge. You can have the bolster professionally thinned which is not worth the effort or risk to the steel's temper. Just a poor overall choice IMO. If you had to go Henkels, the Kaizen line has no bolster, but might not be able to take the abuse your application will likely produce since it's VG-10 steel @Rc60. If you take on the simple challenge of sharpening, this issue is effectively moot as you can sharpen out most damage. If you're still bent on durable soft steel like the Henkels 4*, the Wusthof Ikon has no bolster and is still $40 shy of your ceiling.

Malbidion mentions the Forschners, and he's right in that they're simple reliable knives. They do have a particular ergonomic that takes getting used to as the angle of the handle to blade is unique, but good good knives for cheap. He speaks highly of the Shuns, as well, in which I agree with in this application. They are good knives for a house who cares and wants something with more potential than a German and will put forth limited effort in maintenance (i.e., sharpening), but who is not an absolute knife nut, as well, whereas they're going to recognize the difference in performance & capability between VG-10 & Ginsanko or 13c26 or 19c27.

There are a lot of great 8" & 210mm stainless wa-gyutos out there to choose from under $200: the Masamoto VG or Kukuichi TKC at the forefront & the MAC Pro in the mix, as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:34 am 

Wow! Ok I'm doing some serious research on this one now - but tomorrow! The little munchkins will be up soon. Thanks for the fabulous info - there's a lot here for me to work through, (although I get the comment about the bolsters straight away & completely agree). Now for some metallurgy for me by the looks of it!! Thanks once again.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:23 pm 
Forum Moderator

IIRC, those M390 re handles I redid have fatter wood handles on them, so you want to go with the standard handle if you have smaller hands.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:14 pm 

Hi All
Well now I've had a good look & think I've almost made a decision, but it also leads me to another question.

I think I am leaning towards the Richmond Artifex 210 Gyuto M390. The main reason is I have been completely drawn into this discussion about the wonder that clearly is M390 steel (I'm an engineer by training, so did a lot of metallurgy back in college.) I think I feel myself being sucked into the world of knife manufacturing vortex.... oh dear..... Plus, I really like the fact that it's made in the USA, and the cost is good. I'll go for the standard handle, rather than the bling handle, which is probably too large for my hand anyway by the sound of it.

SO, the one I am looking at:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riar21gym3.html
has a review which says:
"the out of the box version has almost no edge at all I would recommend getting the finish version or unless you are a sharpener yourself".

As of course I am not (yet) a sharpener, and this knife in particular will take significant effort to sharpen by the sound of it, I need some guidance.

Firstly, I don't actually understand what the reviewer meant by "the finish version". If anyone can shed any light, that would be wonderful.

And then, the other question would be about this whole matter of edge out of the box compared to what all you sharpening gurus clearly then proceed to do to your knives. I'm hoping for an edge that I can reasonably cook with...!!

I have to be honest & say that I actually am now interested in most of the knives that have been recommended here. This business seems like it could be seriously addictive.... oh dear!

thanks everyone once again
Carleen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

What the reviewer meant by "the finish version" is to have the knife sharpened before it gets to you:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/knife-sha ... -mail.html

You add one of these to the cart, Mark sends it to whomever you picked, they sharpen it and send it on to you.

Addictive....ha....it's the worst drug on the market. :o

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:31 pm 

Ok so it's done:
I've ordered a 210mm M390, & finish sharpening, and a sharpening stone, and a ceramic honing rod. And for next time I also want a Goko, and a petty, & a 240mm something japanese tba. Kids? What kids? I can always get them some lunch later, right?
ah i feel a problem coming on!

thanks everyone for your help/enabling!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:49 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ramen's cheap!! :)

Congrats on the new knife.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 2 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next