It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:43 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: 240mm Gyuto for a lefty
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:54 pm 
Site Admin

Hello CKTG, I am a left handed cook interested in picking up a 24cm gyuto to replace my old chefs knife.

A few of the brands that caught my attention are:

Hiromoto AS (current frontrunner)

Tojiro DP

Fujiwara Carbon

Kikuchi Elite

Masamoto VG

Takayuki Grand Chef

Considering that these knives are intially designed for righties, my questions concern:

1. If possible, how much would it cost to adjust the edge?

2. Knowing that the Hiro is set to 60/40, how difficult would it be and/or how much harm would I cause the knife if I were to adjust the bevel to 50/50 or 40/60 (if you will)personally? Also, I am not familar with the bevels on the other brands, though I believe a majority of them are set at 70/30.

I look forward to hearing back from you, Thanks.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: 240mm Gyuto for a lefty
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

Small asymmetric edges are easy to use if you're a lefty so don't worry about that too much if at all.

The hiro has the best steel of the group. If it were me personally I would try something hand made like this Masakage Yuki. I love this knife:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mayugy24.html

I like it better than all the knives you listed. That said it's more money than all the knives you listed. It's hand made, with a sick edge on it right out of the box. The steel and heat treat are very good and the handle is nice. Beautiful knife and excellent performance in a knife that has some soul to it.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]