It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:12 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: >> Ballpark numbers on sayas <<
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:10 am 
Forum Moderator

No frills. Simple wood. (2) 150 petty's. A Tanaka 180 Deba. Tojiro Gokujo. Tojiro western Deba.

Can you estimate, or how do you we get to a quote?

Post subject: Re: >> Ballpark numbers on sayas <<
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

Most sayas for a 210-240mm gyuto run around $60-$65. Doing 5 knives, I can combine the shipping. The 150mm petty's use less wood, so those can be a little lower, say $45 each. Prob the same for Gokujo (it's the 6" European style boning knife from Tojiro, right?), 180mm Deba would be $50, Western Deba would be $65, since I would need a thicker spacer material. Figure $260 shipped. I would prefer to have the knives shipped to me so I can get a nicer fit; I've done a saya from a tracing and measurements, but had to make it a bit bigger to make sure it would fit.

So most sayas are in the $45-$65 range, plus shipping. Longer knives, like 270mm gyuto's, Suji's, breakers or really wide blades like cleavers are a bit more expensive.

I do a 3 piece saya with soft spacer wood in the middle cut out for the blade and then 2 side panels of wood.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:33 pm 

I'm interested in your process for making sayas. Would you be interested in posting some pics of your work?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

Sure!
This was a cool project. The handle is my Water Camo laminate where I press fabric and epoxy into a mold and for a solid block that I can use as handle material, similar to Micarta. Customer wanted a saya made with the same laminate material, so I did a stacked up laminate and used it as the side panels with the wood spacer:

Takeda 90mm Petty saya, Bolivian Rosewood and Basswood spacer:

Bolivian Rosewood saya for a Honyaki 270mm Kiritsuke:

I did a new handle for the knife as well with 2, 3/8" thick SS pieces, Dyed Black and Stabilized Redwood handle and rear SS end cap.

240mm Saya in Bocote, 210mm Saya in Lacewood and a little 150mm petty saya in Bloodwood.

Bloodwood and Bolivian Rosewood are 2 of my favorite woods to use as the side panels.

I think these were my first 2 in Cherry and Bolivian Rosewood IIRC.

I will put together a thread for Saya's, another thread for rehandles, and then WIP's for each with a tutorial of how I do them as I get some time. I'm going to be pretty swamped in the next 2 weeks and then things should level out I hope!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:13 am 
Forum Moderator

Thank you, Tim.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:20 pm 

Tim,

I am in the same boat. I need a saya for my Takeda 270mm AS Gyuto. I don't need any frills as well, I just hate carrying around the box to hold it in. Can you give me an idea on pricing and how the process works to get it ordered. Do you take Paypal or how do you accept payment?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:42 pm 
Forum Moderator

I usually do PayPal or checks/money orders. You can send me a PM and I can check wood prices to see what it will cost with different woods. I'm trying to get some lower cost woods as well (more plain woods) for basic saya's.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]