It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:33 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Help me choose a 240mm Gyuto.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:02 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

I originally was going to make a post on the forums asking a few questions but i realized it started to get a little long winded. i have a few things to ask and i'll try my best to structure it for you.

firstly i am looking for 240mm+ gyuto preferably with a wa handle that can handle a decent workload. although i feel like all knives given proper care for can handle this.
i am right handed and would like to try a d-shaped handle but this isnt a deal breaker
i am also interested in giving carbon knives a run

i currently use in my professional kitchen a global 8" and a tojiro dp 8" and really want a step up. im willing to pay $200-$250 probably a little bit more if it was worth my while.

my shortlist right now of knives im considering are

moritaka gyuto 240mm (supreme series)
moritaka gyuto 240mm (aogami #2)
moritaka ks 250mm
goko 240mm
tanaka damascas 240mm
grand chef 240mm
konosuke hd/hh

my first question is with the moritaka's. i imagine the blade profiles are the same between the two 240's but the pictures make them look pretty similar to the KS as well. is there a distinct difference? aside from the steel being used for these moritakas, is there any reason i should not save money and just grab the aogami #2 version allowing me to upgrade my stones quicker? i understand about care for carbon knives and this is not a concern for me.

are there any other knives i should be considering for a gyuto? i also plan on getting a suji but am leaning towards getting your artifex version for that. seems perfect for what i want.

i was also interested in the richmond ultimatum and laser but they all seem to be sold out. will they or your new series be in stock within the next month or two? i could wait!

along the same lines, i was wondering if you were planning on restocking the green brick of joy? im looking for a house stone that everyone can use to touch up their blades. if you dont think it will be any time soon, is the blue aoto 2k a good alternative? i plan on going 1k, 2k, 5k for my stones. i dont think it will be any necessary for me to go any further, do you?

im sorry about all the questions! i just want to treat myself to a nicer blade for work since i just got a promotion and my head has been spinning with all these options. thanks for taking the time to read all this.

Paul

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Help me choose a 240mm Gyuto.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:06 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Paul,

There's not a huge difference between the Moritakas. I guess my own preference would be for the regular supreme series 240mm gyuto.

Out of your short list of knives I like the Konosuke hd or hh. I like the finish on them and I tend to prefer stainless.

My Richmond Ultimatums just came back in stock and my Richmond Laser with the rosewood handle would be a good one to consider. It's also in stock.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

Also, thanks for asking me about the green brick. I neglected to put that stone back in stock and it's been sitting on the shelf for 2 weeks. I flipped the order button on. We have about 50 of them.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

From your original list, the Goko, the Tanaka and the Konosuke's trump the others slightly....but each has it's strong points IMHO.

The Konosuke's are very nice, very well finished stainless knives. Great geometry, nice profile.....really can't go wrong.

However, you mention wanting to give carbon a try.

For that reason alone, I would get either the Goko or the Tanaka. I like the Goko's, I was quite impressed with them. The Tanaka's are nice too, but I just like the Goko's a little bit more.

The Laser is another great stainless knife and I could never vote against it. But if you've never tried a carbon knife, you should. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:11 am 
Forum Moderator

I will recommend the Tanaka. Been using the 240mm since August, outcuts everything else pretty much, even on sweet potatoes. I tried around 7 other knives on sweet potatoes and the Tanaka beats them all. I haven't tried the Goko yet. I've just stropped mine 4 times since mid August, when I started to use it; it still hasn't seen the stones yet since I only cook at home.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:55 am 

it's taken me a minute to register for the forum but thanks to everyone for their input. after a couple weeks I am leaning towards picking up a goko for its stainless steel cladded white #1 steel. i leaned really heavily towards a 240 konosuke hd but the price difference is a stone in itself. my first preference would probably be the konosuke white #2 240 but that doesn't seem to be in stock and i'm not entirely sure if theres even a way to be sure when it will be again. i also dabbled in the idea of getting a kiritsuke but abandoned that pretty quick. i also considered just getting a nakiri and splitting the tasks with the global i have now but i think id rather just have a nice gyuto.

so the price difference between the kono and the goko will get me another stone to help me complete my set. i'm timid in ordering since i feel i may be selling myself short by not getting a konosuke but i know I'm going to be more than happy with the goko.

up next on my buying list will definitely be a suji, then probably a honesuki, and a high grit stone somewhere in between all that!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

Nice choice!!! I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:57 am 

I've used the knife for two shifts now and i couldn't be happier. with the factory edge i was able to tear through half a case of sweet potatoes like they were nothing. i was robbed the opportunity to break down some hanger steak yesterday so i haven't gotten to use it on any proteins. i may use it to portion salmon this weekend just because.

there was some slight discoloration on the blade when i got it though. it may have been surface rust but it basically rubbed out but i haven't had the chance to run it over stones yet.

i do have one question though if anyone would care to answer. how big of a difference will an 8k/10k edge be from a 5k? would i see that much of a performance boost? basically, whats the highest grit that has practical value for a professional kitchen before it just becomes overboard? i already have the bug but wonder if its really all that necessary to buy a higher grit stone. sorry for being so naive!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:18 am 

5-6k is the best all purpose

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

Normally, a synthetic 5-6K edge is a great edge, but I prefer to use finer J nats after my Rika 5K. The natural stones have a grit range, so you get a highly refined edge with good bite left to it due to the natural variance in the stone versus the more uniform grit with the synthetic stones. A 10Kor higher edge in a synthetic stone may be too polished, but a 12-15K J nat will have a great bite to it!

Look at the Shobu San stone or something in the 7-10K range in a natural stone; carbon steels and J nats is an awesome combo!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]