It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:13 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: White #2 flavors
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:23 am 

Been looking at carbon knives and have come to realize the depth of my ignorance of so many things.

How does one know what one is looking at? Or holding in one's hand? Or using in a kitchen?

Is there a way to tell if the White #2 gyuto I'm looking at, or holding, or using is hand forged?

Is there a way to tell if the White #2 gyuto I'm looking at, or holding, or using is machine/robot forged?

Is there a way to tell if the White #2 gyuto I'm looking at, or holding, or using is made via bar stock removal?

Is there a way to tell if the White #2 gyuto I'm looking at, or holding, or using is stamped?

Can you help me out with a few examples of various high quality White #2 Gyutos utilizing these different production approaches in producing a blade.

Just when I think I know what to buy a question like this pops into my head and I see I know nothing much less what to buy... even just having an informed decision making process would be helpful.

Thank you in advance for your assistance in my education.

Post subject: Re: White #2 flavors
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:46 am 

Being someone more ignorant than you about these things, my answer to these questions would be....if it performs well, who cares.
If I were to decide I wanted a white #2, I would go with a brand that has the blade geometry I want and a good rep in fit and finish.
But hey, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer either! :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:56 am 
Site Admin

Hello,

This is a tough way to come up with a good selection for a knife.

It's kind of like trying to judge a car by comparing engine features like horse power. There are lots of other important things that make the car fun to drive besides this narrow measurement of one part of the engine's performance.

A better way to get a good recommendation is to answer questions about you and what you want, and let me or others give you choices that fit your interests or requirements.

Are you right handed?
You want carbon.
Do you know how to sharpen?
How much do you want to spend?
Do you want a wa handle or western handle?
Do you push cut, rock or chop mostly when you cut stuff?
Do you want something that is shiny, damascus, or kurouchi finish?

If I know this stuff I can give you some options.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:07 am 

Right handed
White #2 carbon
New to sharpening with Japanese water stones but coming along, will hopefully continue to refine and learn.
<400 can be pushed
Wa
push/chop with gyuto
Not Kurouchi, Not Damascus
Hand Forged, Not Stamped, Not stock removal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:13 am 

Steel in Texas wrote:Been looking at carbon knives and have come to realize the depth of my ignorance of so many things.

How does one know what one is looking at? Or holding in one's hand? Or using in a kitchen?

Is there a way to tell if the White #2 gyuto I'm looking at, or holding, or using is hand forged?

Is there a way to tell if the White #2 gyuto I'm looking at, or holding, or using is machine/robot forged?

Is there a way to tell if the White #2 gyuto I'm looking at, or holding, or using is made via bar stock removal?

Is there a way to tell if the White #2 gyuto I'm looking at, or holding, or using is stamped?

Can you help me out with a few examples of various high quality White #2 Gyutos utilizing these different production approaches in producing a blade.

Just when I think I know what to buy a question like this pops into my head and I see I know nothing much less what to buy... even just having an informed decision making process would be helpful.

Thank you in advance for your assistance in my education.

I would say that if the part I highlighted applies then it doesn't really matter the route it took to get there. As long as it does the things you want a high quality White #2 Gyuto to do for YOU.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:16 am 

Even though one may find my method of evaluating gyuto selections to be a bit tough or strange, nevertheless the questions are pretty straightforward.

Why is it a problem to have this information when trying to make a decision on what gyuto to buy. Is this information withheld for some mysterious reason? Of course other questions such as profile, geometry, grind, fit and finish will come into the decision making process it just seems like the process of how the blade is derived should also come into the equation.

And while one may not make one's car buying decision solely based on horsepower it certainly comes into the equation when looking at high performance cars. Of course other things come into the equation., torque, handling, rubber to road, balance... More information is good in my book.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:22 am 

@Jeff and Paradox, Well you may not care how the blade was made but apparently I do. This information is something to take into consideration in addition to all the other things I mention above.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:41 am 

I'm not saying it's not important to you just why it's not important to me. :ugeek:

I'm willing to learn though. Okay, tell me how a hand forged, bar stock removal made knife is better or worse than say a robot forged, stamped blank made knife. And vice versa? I don't know why one would be better or worse than another?

Perhaps the methods are worthy of my consideration when choosing a knife?

What's more important to me though is how the knife performs, feels in my hand, does it have a blade shape that works well for the way I want to use it to cut up my stuff?

If it's top quality steel that they start with I think that the heat treatment method and hardness that they go to with the steel would also be more important to me than how the shape of the knife is made. Unless there is a quantifiable way to tell that one method is superior to the other? Then I guess it would be more important to me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:55 am 

I hear you Paradox, everything is important. If I could shop and hold all these knives in my hands it would probably help, perhaps I could answer my own questions.

It's interesting how the head quantifies and the heart feels. Would I be able to tell that a knife that was made by a master artisan blacksmith, would I be able to feel the qualities that they impart to the blade? That's a better way of asking my original questions. I feel that I'm pretty in touch with these finer sensations and would hope that it would be obvious. Guess I'll just have to see for myself. Take a few seconds to read the description of the upcoming knife in the incubator:

Tamashii roughly translates to spirit, soul or even "a kind of ghost" for some. Hand forged knives are of great interest to me and they indeed have their own soul compared to many knives made by robots. It's a special treat to use a knife made by a master blacksmith and to know a little about their work and skill. I'm going to be selecting the top blacksmiths and knife grinders of Japan to make these knives.

Hand forged knives are apparently of great interest to me to. Everything hand made by a master artisan of any kind is of interest to me. Master Musicians, Master Chefs, Masterworks of all art forms.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:19 am 

perhaps this link would help explain to you more

http://cashenblades.com/images/articles/lowdown.html

i dunno if it's correct or not. just saved it on my browser and kept it as a reference. i'm no expert.

Page 1 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next