It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:02 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Gyuto 210
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:50 pm 

There is a huge amount of experience and expertise here, and first wanted to thank everyone for trying to help me.
I am looking for a 210 Gyuto to use for home food prep. I am right handed, with large to x large hands, I rock, chop and push cut. Really pretty much clueless, with a interest in improving my technique. I sharpen and strop with a edge pro to very good success. I am looking for a very good steel with excellent edge retention. My thoughts are Super Aogomi steel or equivalent.
I dont have any knives with that steel, but am thinking it may preform close to ZDP-189 which i do have in a folder. I am impressed with that steel.
My budget is around 300.00 give or take. Performance, is much more important than looks to me.
This is what i was thinking, but keep in mind i am clueless and welcome all input.
Masakage Koishi gyuto 210mm,
Moritaka Gyuto 210mm not sure if its tall enough to rock with xlarge hands?
Kanehiro Wa-Gyuto 210mm
Takeda 210mm Gyuto
Kono I hear good things about them as well
Thank you for your time

Post subject: Re: Gyuto 210
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:16 pm 

some powdered steel knives cktg have are:
richmond artifex m390 custom
shaun fernandez gyuto 230mm s35vn
there are a few other knives in SG2 and cpm 154 somewhere on CKTG afaik.... just gotta look for them.

if you don't mind carbons then go for the masakage or kanehiro like you mentioned.

=D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:22 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ask Mark to pick you a Takeda with some belly to the profile. Best choice for what you're looking for.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:26 pm 

If you are concerned about balde height being too short, then go with the Takeda. They make a taller Gyuto. I have a stainless Kono HH and it is a very nice knife hard to go wrong with Konosuke.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:42 pm 

I appreciate the help, but had a few more questions. In your opinions what separates Takeda from the pack is it just the height?
Masakage Koishi gyuto- has anyone tried it, i am not sure why but seem drawn to it.
Is there a way to get pros and cons of each, or are they too close in profile and performance. Thank you

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Takeda's are generally very thin and light and much taller than other brands; it's his style. The Kurouchi finish seems to hold up the best and not wear off easily, and the Aogami Super core steel is a great carbon steel. The Masakage series is pretty new to CKTG, within the past few weeks, so Mark would have to answer specific questions about them.

As for 210mm gyuto's, I have a few, but they rarely get used. I find the handles on many are too short and feel odd in my hand. By the time I have a pinch grip, it feels like I lose a lot of the blade length. I much prefer 240mm gyuto's for every day cutting stuff.

As many people know, my fave 240mm gyuto is the Tanaka Sekiso Damascus Blue #2 core knife. I've had it since mid august and have stropped it a total of 5 times so far; it has never seen a stone yet! It's not a laser, but it pretty much out cuts everything else I have here, except my Kono suji on slicing because the Kono is crazy thin and a 300mm blade! The Tanaka is very thin behind the edge and has a wonderful convex grind to it, so it doesn't wedge much and stiction is minimal. Even sweet potatoes are cut pretty easily with it!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:04 am 
Forum Moderator

NORTH <> If you even dream of a Takeda, you better be ready for the height. 58mm tall is not the only trait "that separates it from the pack," but do you need anything else to.?! :shock: You couldn't gift me a Takeda Gyuto w/o me selling it on the spot.

And as Franz is referencing, you're never going to get edge retention like ZDP from AOS... thus his PM steel suggestions.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:33 pm 

Melampus, just curious. What are the other reasons you'd sell a Takeda on the spot?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

TODD <> There is no other reason. A 210mm Gyuto @58mm tall, to me, is so extraordinarily out of proportion, I can't even consider it a Gyuto. To me, its a pointed Nakiri. If you have a chefs knife/cooks knife/gyuto, measure it, stencil it on paper, and then extend the heel to 58mm. To me, its a cartoon.

There are plenty of people who seemingly like them, but honestly, it blows my mind as after 23 years of professional food service I've never once seen a Chef or experienced cook utilize such a tall knife by choice... excluding Chinese cooks with their cleavers. Rarely, have I ever even seen a gyuto w/that tall a profile, and when I did it was a cheapy house knife that would only be in use by the prep guys in the back because there were no options. The only benefit I see is you can transfer product with it, but you should have a bench scraper for that anyhow, leaving that benefit moot.

Facts, are they sell, I guess. Just like Mark sells his Addict, and well... apparently.

I find a gyuto at those heights is just way too stifling. Its too much unneeded & unnecessary steel to wield. So much more nimble & so much more versatile w/o it. I can do anything I can with one - with the other knife, but why make it harder with all that bulk?

One man's trash is another man's treasure...

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]