It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:37 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Slicing Knife Recommendations?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:22 pm 

I'm looking for a good knife for slicing cooked hams extremely thinly. I have a wusthof with granton edge, which does the job but I'm looking for something thinner and sharper. I'm considering the fujiwara FKS 270 mm sujihiki with dimples, the fujiwara carbon sujihiki, and the tojiro 270 mm sujihiki. I was thinking the scalloped fujiwara would probably be best. Please share your thoughts.

Post subject: Re: Slicing Knife Recommendations?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:39 pm 

I've used the fujiwara carbon. Very thin blade and easy to sharpen. The handle is decent for the price.
Fairly reactive steel and will have a dark patina. May be a good option if don't mind the carbon balde (wiped and dried during use) I think it would be a good upgrade from vustof.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

Of the three the Fujiwara Carbon....dimples are not very effective IMHO.

The Fujiwara carbon is a great knife for the money....will take a nice edge and is pretty darn thin.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:51 pm 

Thanks for the recommendations. I thought the dimples would help since cook's illustrated top-rated slicer, the Victorinox has them. (I would get that knife but don't like the handle and find the Japanese sharper than European knives. What about the Richmond 270 mm sujihiki? Seems like another good buy. I'm leaning toward the Fuji carbon.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

Are you asking about the Artifex.....that would be a good one as well. I don't think as thin though.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Post subject: Alternatively...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:59 pm 

Yes, I know I'm in the wrong crowd with this recommendation but I've sliced a few hams. The old Chicago Cutlery RB10S (non-serrated), sharpened to the nines, does a great job on a ham. Certainly, you'll need to sharpen it every couple of hams but it takes minutes (500/2000)and they sell for $20 on Ebay. Not exactly Japanese steel but if you need a dedicated ham knife....I'm just sayin'. Additionally, consider a good slicing machine if you've got a lot of ham - "good" being the key word.

If you're talking cuttin' stuff beyond ham....I don't know. Trying to decide on that 'special' knife for myself at this very moment.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:35 pm 

Thanks, Adam. I've read that the blade indentations are useless if they don't extend to the cutting edge. It appears that the Fujiwara's don't, so it seems the extra $ for the granton edge is a waste. I like the idea of a really thin carbon steel knife. Thanks for the recc.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]