It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:22 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Looking for another funayuki
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:40 pm 

A couple of months ago I bought a Yamashin Funayuki. After using it frequently, I have quickly fallen in love with the funayuki profile. My Yamashin is 165mm and i think I want something a little larger for bigger tasks. Maybe in the 210 range?

Can anyone recommend a nice knife with a funayuki profile? I'm looking for something with better fit an finish than the Yamashin (which is about as bare bones as it gets in terms of the handle and F&F). Trying to stay under $200 if possible.

I'm sure people will recommend MC's... are they worth the money?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Looking for another funayuki
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:42 pm 

Oh and to be clear, I'm talking only about a funayuki profile, not the thick, one sided traditional style

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

Worth is hard to judge for other people. I've never heard anyone say MC's knives cut poorly though. :)

I don't think you'll get a 210mm MC funayuki for $200 though. And besides that, to get even close you'd have to get his SFGZ series which would be nicer F&F wise than the Yamashin, but not by much.

Not many knives actually listed as a funayuki actually. More than anything it refers to a narrow gyuto often times.

Knives like the Konosuke Gyuto/Funayuki are this way.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:10 pm 

Thanks Adam

It appears you are correct... Carter's of that size are pretty expensive.

I've been enamored by the Kono HD Funy/Gyuto for a while. I might just wait for that to come back in stock. It will give me time to save up and try to convince the girlfriend that its an "essential" purchase :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:50 am 
Forum Moderator

A good choice, and it is essential.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:59 pm 

I strongly prefer a deeper blade on a 150-160mm knife, too -- and have been ogling the Carters for a while. For its length, the Yamashin is even deeper than a lot of the Carters, and closer to a lot of 210mm gyutos. I'd think that one of the Konosukes would suit you very nicely.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

DUSSEAU <> I fell interested with the Kono Funa upon researching her dimesnsions, but fell in love with her after cutting with her. I bought the 240 a year ago, and have since bought and sold one more custom. I enjoyed her so much I custom ordered her in 210 & lobbied for the 270 in May. The production 270 arrived about a month ago, and the custom 210 w/oversized wa arrived 3 days ago... :mrgreen: It's worth the 10 month wait.

For a little while, at least, I have the only one on the planet, but I know after Mark saw the knife... there's no way he's not going to lobby for it standard production. Its awesome... I like the profile more in 210, then in 240, then in 270. I have them all.

Here's the new 210 & 270...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:43 pm 

MELAMPUS <> Thanks for the side by side pics. Very helpful. The 210 looks like exactly what I'm looking for. Decision made. Now the wait begins...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:45 pm 

I think Konosuke (and Mark) could fill another niche with a 180mm version -- same funayuki tip profile, and something down around 38-40mm at the heel. Their petty is very slender, so it doesn't really appeal to me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

I'm going to ask yamashin and goko if they can do a 210 with that same general profile. Maybe do a 180mm as well. There are some others that might do them as well such as moritaka. I'll try and get the ball rolling on these. It's a really nice general shape for a go to kitchen knife.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next