It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:53 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Got some shop time in finally!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well, my last 2 days off were last Friday and Saturday, just in time for the Blizzard we got hit with, 32" of snow in my back yard between me and my shop.

This much snow sucks!

But I got into the shed this week and got some work done finally!

3 M390 210mm Artifex. Curly Koa on the top, brown Maple burl in the middle and pale Maple Burl on the bottom. Gotta do some clean up and sharpening on these still. I also have 2 more M390's in the works with Maple Burl that was dyed black, but looks a nice gray color:

In the sunlight with the other knife I worked on this week:

I finally got around to doing up a new handle for my beloved Tanaka Sekiso Damascus Blue #2 gyuto. I had a nice block of some serious sick looking Burl wood set aside, but I decided to go a different route. I got some Giraffe Bone Scales in from South Africa that had been dyed and stabilized. 3 sets of scales were white with black streaks and one was white with blue streaks. Hmmm. Found some Ivory Micarta and made up a laminate Oval Wa handle! I used the Ivory Paper Micarta as a spacer between the bone scales and then attached some Ivory Micarta scale pieces as bolsters on top of the spacer so it would look like a Wa handle. I am going to use it for a bit; the handle adds a good bit of weight to the knife overall. The balance point is right over the heel, which is odd for a Wa gyuto. I will eventually slice off the bolster part and do a normal ferrule instead and may thin the handle out more. In the future, I will use a thinner spacer or no spacer and do my usual dowel or aluminum tubing method. The scales are fat enough as is for an Oval handle; an Octagon or D shape handle may need the spacer.

Post subject: Re: Got some shop time in finally!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:32 am 

Wow they came out nice!. Your oval handles are remarkably comfortable for me. The colors really suit the blade on your personal knife.
I sympathize with your snow situation . We got 28 inches. It took a pay loader to clear my street. My chicken coop and car were buried behind a 6 ft wall of snow and ice. I cleared a path to the garden shed I use for sharpening and my grill.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:46 am 
Forum Moderator

Thanks! The bone handle makes the knife almost 100 grams heavier (190-280gr or so), but it balances at the heel now, so it doesn't feel too awkward. I used it for a while on Thurs and didn't mind the extra weight, but I will be redoing the ferrule portion and slimming it down some; it's a touch fat. I stropped it for the 5th time since August and remember why I don't touch it up much. It stuck into the board just about with every cut! The extra weight didn't help with that, either.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yo taz:

Just love your snow pic - hat's off to your endurance!!

:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:05 am 
Forum Moderator

LOL. I cleared a path to my shed and then decided to take some of the snow off of the roof and it made a huge pile in the front of the shed, so I had to dig it out all over again! But with the weather lately, the snow piles are much reduced, but the ground is very very muddy.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:58 am 

Wow! that's alot of snow
I like the snow pic too. The snow drift on the shed making a perfect right angle is too cool.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:33 am 
Forum Moderator

Well, it felt like a heat wave...it got up to around 35 today, so I spent lots of time in the shed!

Just need to sharpen, touch up any handle blips I missed the first 2 times and get a few coats of finish on the handles!

Cleaned up and buffed up 4 hunting knives I did previously to get them ready for a swap meet and for Raffle prizes. Gotta get some pics of those!

Then I worked on 1 cheap kitchen knife blank, 4 hunting knives and 1 fillet knife. Got the handles cut, drilled, prepped, epoxied and shaped out to 120 grit today. I forgot how much more complicated hunting knife handles are with all of the curves and stuff!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]