Well, my last 2 days off were last Friday and Saturday, just in time for the Blizzard we got hit with, 32" of snow in my back yard between me and my shop.
This much snow sucks!
But I got into the shed this week and got some work done finally!
3 M390 210mm Artifex. Curly Koa on the top, brown Maple burl in the middle and pale Maple Burl on the bottom. Gotta do some clean up and sharpening on these still. I also have 2 more M390's in the works with Maple Burl that was dyed black, but looks a nice gray color:
In the sunlight with the other knife I worked on this week:
I finally got around to doing up a new handle for my beloved Tanaka Sekiso Damascus Blue #2 gyuto. I had a nice block of some serious sick looking Burl wood set aside, but I decided to go a different route. I got some Giraffe Bone Scales in from South Africa that had been dyed and stabilized. 3 sets of scales were white with black streaks and one was white with blue streaks. Hmmm. Found some Ivory Micarta and made up a laminate Oval Wa handle! I used the Ivory Paper Micarta as a spacer between the bone scales and then attached some Ivory Micarta scale pieces as bolsters on top of the spacer so it would look like a Wa handle. I am going to use it for a bit; the handle adds a good bit of weight to the knife overall. The balance point is right over the heel, which is odd for a Wa gyuto. I will eventually slice off the bolster part and do a normal ferrule instead and may thin the handle out more. In the future, I will use a thinner spacer or no spacer and do my usual dowel or aluminum tubing method. The scales are fat enough as is for an Oval handle; an Octagon or D shape handle may need the spacer.