It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:51 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: shipping knives
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:29 am 

I just sharpened up an Artifex for my sister. I need to ship it back to her and I just realized that I don't know how to package it so it will arrive with the nice edge I put on intact. I've got the Artifex box and one of those cardboard knife sleeves Mark sells. Any tips?

Post subject: Re: shipping knives
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:55 am 

Put it in the sleeve, secured with tape...then bubble wrap the whole thing before sealin a shipping box.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

Do you still have that "O" ring for the tip? If so, use that.

Otherwise, pack something into the Artifex box (paper, bubble wrap, foam peanuts, etc.) so the knife won't slide around and you'll be fine.

If you're really concerned, put blue painters tape over the edge. Buy the stuff that's 1" wide.....lay a piece over the edge going past the edge 1/4" or so. Then lay a counter piece on the other side. Gives the edge a cushion.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:05 pm 
Forum Moderator

Those cardboard sleeves are good. If you just wrap a blade in bubble wrap, especially after it's sharpened, when you put some tape on it to hold the bubble wrap in place, DON'T SQUEEZE THE TAPE. I got a cut from the edge going right through several layers of bubble wrap from just a gentle amount of pressure on the tape.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:05 pm 

At the very least I would roll up the blade in a sheet of paper before bubble wrap.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:14 pm 

No O-ring and unfortunately no painter's tape lying around. It's secure in the sleeve and I wrapped the whole thing in bubble wrap. Thanks guys!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]