It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:01 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Curly Mango!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:39 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have gotten my brother and his wife a couple Japanese Kitchen Knives over the years as Christmas/Wedding presents. This year, I am rehandling them! I showed them some Maple Burls, Claro Walnut, Curly Koa, and a few other stabilized burls. They went for the block of Stabilized Curly Mango and I saw I could get both of their knives out of it! It has that shimmer similar to Koa, but a lighter and more flecked grain pattern. I used a Natural Phenlic (brown) pin material, ie Micarta, because it blends into the handle nicely and works at the same rate as wood.

Handle grain closeup:

Different lighting on the same side of the handle:

The knife is a Tojiro DP, but a line I found without the metal bolster! This one is MUCH thinner both in the blade and behind the edge than most other Tojiro DP's I have played with recently and is no where near as clunky feeling.

I am working on their Hattori Damascus Petty currently, I should have pics in a few days if I can get some warmer weather to get into my shed!

Post subject: Re: Curly Mango!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:33 pm 

So you think a knife should "Look Good/Pretty" for slicing-dicing-and chopping? Really?!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

Why not? Most factory handles don't feel the best in the hand (minimum contouring, often poor fit and finish between the handle material/tang, etc) and are a generic size. By doing a custom handle, you get better fit and finish and better fit to your hand, which is more comfortable to use. Looking good while using the knife is just an extra bonus!

The Curly Mango Petty is in the middle in this pic:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:08 pm 

That's a really sharp handle on the top petty.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

Thats a Fujiwara 150mm Carbon petty with stabilized Buckeye Burl. I had some thin handle scales lying around from a while back (ordered the wrong size, didn't realize they were so thin), so I decided to use them finally. I prefer a fatter handle, but I don't use a petty all that often or for a long period of time to be bothered by it. They aren't much thicker than the factory scales.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]