It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:42 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Cutting a Stone
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:14 pm 

I've done this, here is what I did and why I won't do it again.
The reason I tried was to save money on a low grit EP sized stone, in my mind, I would end up with a life time supply of low grit stones EP sized cut from full sized stones which are available here at Lee Valley. (I'm in Canada so shipping isn't free and also, I just wanted to see if I could do it. I had no intention of selling them or anything.)

I used a wet tile saw on a Bester 700 grit stone. I did not soak the stone, not because I don't think it is a good idea, I just didn't think of doing that.
The actual cutting process was quite quick, messy but quick and relatively easy. There is waste but the result was 6 pieces and not all of those were the same size. I then did my best with a DMT plate to square them off, remove any scuff marks left by the blade.

When compared to the products Ken creates, they are just ugly blocks of stone that I ended up tossing away. My curosity was satisfied, I'm leaving it to the expert.

Kens precision cutting is like something out of a labratory, my products were like something a bunch of drunk rednecks hacked out of a rock with an axe, a dull axe.

Just sayin :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

LMBO!!!

I've had so many of those....I really appreciate you putting that in print, made me giggle.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:02 pm 

Hey!.......Don't be making fun of drunk rednecks with dull axes! We're just doing our best!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:46 pm 

Sailor, thanks. Your result is certainly one of the possible outcomes I have imagined for sure. ;) I have no intention of cornering the market on cut stones either, mostly I'm just keen to give it a try. I bet access to a water-jet cutting system would do the trick!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:11 am 

Sailor's outcome is exactly what I had pictured and why I haven't tried it yet.
Like Parodox, I'm definitely not going into the business, just want to try and make a few toys to keep around my parent's farm to sharpen axes, hatchets and other garden tools. Maybe even touch up a lawnmower blade.

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2