It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:07 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sushi Noob needs professionals help and advice
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:00 pm 

hello
I am working at Japanese restaurant in Vancouver
I worked about 3 months and trying to get Yanagi (that's what sushi chef said me to get)
so i was searching around and found this wonderful website.
I was searching through and the yanagi made by keijiro doi is great so i was wondering which one to get

Doi White Steel Dragon Yanagi 270mm ($399.99)

VS

Keijiro Doi Blue Steel Yanagi Sashimi 270mm ($399.99)

I also know that i'm at begginer level but i think im walking through right way
so i was thinking that if i am sure i need to get good knife so that i can put more passion into sushi

PLEASE Can you recommand between those two or any other knife to get? (range can be up to 500$)
Thank You So much for your time~!

Post subject: Re: Sushi Noob needs professionals help and advice
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:39 am 

My vote would be for the blue steel. It should be easier to take care of and more forgiving when you fail to do so. I would get a deba too.

p. s. Santoku equipment office in Empress Galleria in Yaletown has sharpening lesson on Saturday if your chef don't have enough time to coach you. They also do sharpening and repair if you mess up your knives. (Don't ask me how I know that....<sigh>) :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:07 am 

wow thanks for your advice and any recommendation for deba too?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:59 am 

Other people in here are a lot more knowledgeable than I am about different knives.

I use a Masamoto shiro-ko hongasumi 6.4" deba myself. It is a great knife, but it is pricey for what it is. I recommend that for whichever knife or knives you pick, you either have someone at CKtG or someone else familiar with sharpening Japanese knives to do the initial Uraoshi sharpening and initial sharpening.

Just listen to Mark or the others in here....and you can't go wrong ;D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:39 am 

The Doi is a very fine selection. In my experience, yanagi is the most difficult knife to learn how to sharpen(compound bevels and such). I recommend purchasing a $10 cheap yanagi to practice thinning and sharpening before the initial and heavy sharpening on the Doi.
Sujihiki or laser gyuto is nice for sushi maki and petty knife is good for garnish.
Will you need usuba? Some places don't worry about traditional methods and use the spiral vegetable turner(not sure of the proper name). It may find a place in your kit?
Deba is nice if you're breaking down lots of whole fish. CKTG has affordable wa debas I'm sure will all do the task.
Maybe a good idea to invest in some stones too. Check out the sharpening section in the forum. Lots of sharpening advice and suggestions on stones there too.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]