It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: A Leaning Curve.... and a Tight Curve...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:40 pm 

This is my first post, but I have been a regular reader of this forum for at least a couple of years. Have learned so much, thanks to all that contribute.

First, and briefly, my "Learning Curve", and then a question that I hope someone can help me with. For years, I struggled with sharpening my knives (kitchen, hunting, fishing). I tried steels, pull-through's, oil stones and all sorts of other things, and while some sort of cutting ability was achieved, it was not a pretty edge!. I realise now that I was actually abusing my knives by damaging them with these things. In frustration, I turned to the internet (EP website, YouTube, and in particular, this forum), and learned a lot about types of steel, edge geometry; and then bought an EP Apex, then magnet, spring, angle cube, loupe, and recently SG stones (220, 500, 1k, 2k, 4k), and have not looked back. Next step is to upgrade to Japanese knives.....

But now, the "Tight Curve". I have a Gerber Gator Clip Point (420HC). As shown it has a tightly curved belly.
1.jpg [99.8 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

While I can achieve a good working edge along the full length of the blade, it is not a pretty job, and doesn't come anywhere near the standard of finish in the next photo. I can't remember whose knife it is, but the photo came off this forum. Someone may recognise it!
2.jpg [68.94 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

I sharpen mine in 2 positions, the straight edge first, and then the belly.The straight part is easy to do, but around the curved belly, the bevel and angle change. I understand why that is (the edge being further from the pivot point), but don't know how to correct it. I wonder whether the issue is my procedure?.

Please offer advice, as I now have a similar blade in S30V, and don't want to put a stone anywhere near it until I get this mastered. Thanks for any advice offered.

Cheers
Haddo

Post subject: Re: A Leaning Curve.... and a Tight Curve...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:06 am 

Hello haddo;

Now we have 2 New Zealander EP users here.

The reason your bevel grows taller when you get to the tip is that the edge is closer to the spine
so the steel is thicker there. Keeping the same dps,you will be removeing more metal as the blade road is thicker behind the edge
so your bevel gets taller.

Douglas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:08 am 

[quote="Sharp Knives"]Hello haddo;

Now we have 2 New Zealander EP users here.

The reason your bevel grows taller when you get to the tip is that the edge is closer to the spine
so the steel is thicker there. Keeping the same dps,you will be removeing more metal as the blade road is thicker behind the edge so your bevel gets taller.

That Spyderco looks like Mad Rookies' work.

Douglas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:46 pm 

Hi Douglas
Only 2 Kiwi's on the forum - I'm surprised there's not more of us!

Thanks for your reply and advice - that certainly explains part of the issue I'm having.

Mad Rookies Spyderco?. Yes quite likely is - it certainly gleams of his perfection 8-)

Haddo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:49 pm 

Hi there Haddo, or should I say Kia Ora Bro!!!

What you're doing is sectioning the knife, which effectively means that you are sharpening two separate edges and because they are quite different edges hence you get the visible change at the point where they meet.

I don't sharpen much in the way of short knives, but I would probably approach this by putting Sharpie on the edge, choosing your angle and then setting up the blade so that the flat part of the edge is running along (but just clear of) the edge of the blade table, with the curved part of the blade overhanging the side edge of the blade table. Using your 4k stone & with zero pressure, I would gently run the stone from heel to tip in one movement and then inspect where it removes the marker.

As Douglas says, as the stone runs down the curve & moves closer to the pivot, the grinding angle will increase a little and reduce the width of the bevel. Depending on what the result of this is you could adjust the positioning of the blade to optimise your bevel width. So try it and come back with what happens.

Where in the Shaky Isles are you based???

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:05 pm 

Grant - you have very accurately put into words the issue I'm having : "sectioning the blade by sharpening two separate edges". It's the visible change where those two edges meet that's frustrating the hell out of me.

What you suggest sounds like the solution, so I will give that a go and come back. Thanks very much for your help.

I'm at the other end of the country - Mosgiel.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:36 pm 

Hi Haddo,

my apologies, reading my earlier post I've only told you half of the story. The 4k is the first part, basically to establish in conjunction with the Sharpie, just what that new grind option might provide, without taking off lots of metal. Once you find something that looks like it might work then go through an appropriate progression, because if there's a bit of work to be done a 4k stone would take forever. Looking at the junction you might have to re-establish a bevel that will integrate the two bevels you currently have.

Anyway please come back on the new forum with how you get on or any further questions

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:37 pm 

Yep, cheers Grant, got all that. Will give it a go.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]