It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: 240 Gihei blue#2 gyuto
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:15 pm 

Look forward to hearing more, jmcnelly. Like: How does it handle onions, esp on horizontals?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:25 pm 

It doesn't flick through quite as easy as the taka or AS laser, but I haven't had to resort to my workhorse technique of using the middle of the blade and giving it a quick up and over. In other words, the tip can flick through but it isn't exactly flying through without resistance.

The verticals are possibly the easiest out of any knife I've ever used. Juliennes are equally easy, on par with my itto ryu, which is ridiculous. I haven't done much super thin garnish work with it yet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:25 pm 

Onions on horizontal cuts where DREAMY

If I'm going to replace my Anryu it will be with this beast mode

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:08 am 

Any new or updated experiences with this knife? Would love to hear from those who have gotten one.

TIA!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:46 am 

The more I use it, the more I like it. The only peculiar thing I've noticed is the stainless cladding seems to be somewhat reactive. I recently moved and the previous owners of the house made the terrible decision to place the knife rack just above and slightly to the side of the stove. After making an apple chutney, the vinegar steam collected on the blade and made a few rust spots on the cladding that were easily remedied; However, the blue steel core barely got any rust. I've since been wiping my blades after making anything that creates steam, as well as have plans for an upcoming slight kitchen remodel where this won't be an issue. None of the other ss knives got any rust, and interestingly enough, the fully reactive cladding on an itto ryu didn't get any rust; however, the core white steel rusted more than any other knife.

Performance through product has been universally top notch through whatever I've put it through, it simply moves like a good soldier through whatever stands in its way. It's ability to take an edge exceeds my current stone/strop set up, and if it weren't for the reaction situation I'm sure it wouldn't have needed more than minor touch ups from it's initial sharpening. Once it's sharp, it really wants to stay sharp.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:19 pm 

Got my Gihei blue #2 210 today and I absolutely love it. When I first picked it up I was definitely having buyers remorse. I was worried about the heft of the blade, and how it just didn't feel as good as my thinner Kanehide and Masamoto in my hand. But the more I used it the better it felt. Even though it's only 210mm, the weight of the blade gives it the feel of a bigger knife. With my smaller hands and limited workspace at home this seems like the perfect combination of brawn and agility. It easily slides through softer materials and doesn't flinch with the tougher stuff. And this is before a sharpening. I can't wait to see how it acts when it's actually sharp!

Still gonna keep my Kanehide, but the Gihei is definitely gonna be my go to.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:24 am 

I've been eyeballing these for some time. I've also wanted to try hap40. Does anybody know if the specs are similar between the blue and hap40? Also will there be a 240 in hap40 available?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:36 pm 

[quote="ashy2classy"]Got my Gihei blue #2 210 today and I absolutely love it. When I first picked it up I was definitely having buyers remorse. I was worried about the heft of the blade, and how it just didn't feel as good as my thinner Kanehide and Masamoto in my hand. But the more I used it the better it felt. Even though it's only 210mm, the weight of the blade gives it the feel of a bigger knife. With my smaller hands and limited workspace at home this seems like the perfect combination of brawn and agility. It easily slides through softer materials and doesn't flinch with the tougher stuff. And this is before a sharpening. I can't wait to see how it acts when it's actually sharp!

Still gonna keep my Kanehide, but the Gihei is definitely gonna be my go to.

I also have the kanehide and the Gihei. I agree when I first picked up the Gihei I thought "holy **** it's heavy". still a bit heavy, but once you understand it, cutting is easy and it does things very well. This is my first really Japanesey knife and it makes me want to try more knives like it. Problem is, it's so good that I have to get something that much better than it. All in all I still think that, for me, I might be inclined to like something a little lighter and tiny bit less tall. I love the handle and I love the horse
Excellent review, need to get my hands on one of these now!

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2