It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:54 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: CBN Emulsion in 1 OZ now available at CKTG
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

Mark and I have introduced CBN in an emulsion formulation in a 1 ounce (30 ml) bottle size here at CKTG. The sprays are still available in the 2 oz sizes as well.

The emulsion formulation is water soluble so it is safe to use on leather and nanocloth strops as well as on waterstones to enhance their function on highly abrasion resistant steels.

It is designed to stick exceptionally well on strops as well as belts and motorized applications (belt grinders, etc), so it is perfect for bench strops but also optimized for high volume work.

A little goes a long way! There is no overspray so it all goes on the strop. I recommend pitting a drop on and immediately spreading it as far as it goes. For a 1x6 Kangaroo strop, a single drop or two will cover it. Is is easily applied and dries quickly so the strop is ready to use right away. Use a disposable exam glove to give a cleaner preparation and to not waste any product.

On nanocloth you will apply more compound initially as it won't spread as far. It will produce a heavier coat than a spray. the result is a more aggressive strop with no loss in finish quality. It will also last longer, needing refreshing less often than leather. I recommend Kangaroo, horse and cow in that order, using the smooth side of the leather. It will also work on felt, balsa etc.

The grits available start with 4 microns, which can be used on a 4k stone or even substitute for a 4k stone in situations where water is not convenient. Not splash and go , but just go and go. Very fast cutting too. From there you can refine it further to 2 microns or 8k. From there you can refine it as you like with finer and finer grits. 1.5 microns or 12k is a perfect grit for touchups even in a commercial kitchen environment. From there 1 micron (16k) gives you that extra amount of finesse. The .75 micron compound or 24k grit gives you and edge that I personally use on my finer Japanese knives to maintain them at extreme sharpness, with still some toothiness remaining. The half micron or 32k grit gives you an edge rivaling the finest synthetic stones. Indeed adding a drop of 0.5 to the slurry of a 30k stone will further enhance the cutting capabilities of the stone and minimize metal swarf buildup on the stone, keeping the stone in optimal condition for the next session inbetween flattenings. Beyond that the quarter micron (64k) eighth micron (0.125 micron) or 128k provides straight razor like sharpness. For straight razor honers and knife sharpeners the tenth micron or 160k CBN provides exceptional finish, giving a mirror finish of incomparable brilliance and sharpness. Consistently from .25 microns on up, the shave quality of CBN is superior to diamond - either poly or mono. I highly recommend going to 0.1 microns for one of the more exceptional levels of shaving comfort and performance.

The emulsions are the same exceptionally high concentration as the spray formulations, representing the highest level of product consistency and concentration available anywhere. These CBN emulsion products have been available for some time and extensively used already, and even knockoff copies of my products have been attempted unsuccessfully. I am very pleased that Mark is now introducing them here for you to enjoy!

Here is a demo of the emulsion being applied to a full sized kangaroo leather strop

Additional grits in the 1 oz size are also directly available from me including coarser grits of CBN to 200 microns, 3 and 6 micron CBN, and polycrystalline diamond in a wide range of grits in 1 oz bottles in emulsion formulations.

---
Ken

Ken'sCorner

Post subject: Re: CBN Emulsion in 1 OZ now available at CKTG
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:52 pm 

I like tbe ability to get these in smaller quantities.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:38 pm 

One question Ken, would you suggest buying the spray or the emulsion, all things being equal? I suppose this question goes mainly for use with Nano cloth, but I would be curious if your recommendation would change based upon the medium.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:06 am 
Forum Moderator

Well the emulsion when used with heavier particles keeps the particles suspended better, so I stopped carrying sprays past 4 microns and carry the emulsions all the way to 200 microns.

I use both and so do my customers. The emulsions go on heavier on nanocloth than the sprays. If you are using them on a belt grinder or moving medium, emulsions stay on better on a moving surface.

I carry both and let my customers decide. The sprays are the older product and for many users, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'

---
Ken

Ken'sCorner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:35 am 

Just stropped my dovo razor using nano .75 cbn emulsion. Worked nicely. I'm probably going to look to get an even finer one.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]