It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:57 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Starter Stones for Stainless
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:06 am 

Entering the world of stones and free hand sharpening... I'm planning to get the stones below to sharpen a large group of stainless steel knives for a community kitchen.

My initial approach is to grab a small variety of stones to gain some experience with them and check out their various qualities, cutting ability, feedback, hard/soft, mud... Is this a good way to gain exposure to various stones?

My shopping list(s):

140 Grit Diamond Plate and Universal Stone Holder: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/xxcdiplandun.html
Latte 400 Grit Stone: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/la400grst.html
Naniwa Aotoshi 2k Green Brick: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/naao2kgrbr.html

A friend is giving me his King 250/1000 combo stone that he no longer uses. Seems to be a bit narrow and he is not very satisfied with it, hence giving it to me.

Stones on deck in the batters box are:

Nubatama Bamboo 220 Grit: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nubatoma2.html
Chosera 1000 Grit: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nach10grwast.html

In addition to gaining free hand experience and exposure to various stones, my hope is that these will allow me to reset the bevels, repair edges and sharpen the hell out of these stainless kitchen knives.

Will this stone lineup work well together? Any opinions on swapping out different stones for the one listed above and why.

Thanks everyone!

Post subject: Re: Starter Stones for Stainless
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:20 am 

if you can tell us what knives you got we would be able to help you out better.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:45 am 

There are some Henckels, Kiwis, Forschners, Messer Inox and various other Chef knives. There are a few slicers, butcher and paring knives of various mfg. Sort of a catchall of knives people have brought in from home and garage sales.

That said I have been obsessing over getting either a Kikuichi Performance TKC Gyuto and/or a Konosuke HD Gyuto and hope that the same stones could be the basis for a starter set for these gyutos with the addition of a 5-10K stone or two.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:51 am 

Should mention that the majority of the existing knives are thin stamped stainless blades.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:52 am 

with those knives your choices would be pretty good. the naniwa aotoshi won't work well with harder stainless steels. but i think it'll do pretty well with harder carbon steels.

the rest of what you already have are pretty good.

the king stones are decent on softer stainless and works well to ok (depending on your skill level on sharpening) with carbons. as seen on murray carter's videos, he's pretty much mastered the king stones' sharpening ability.

the addition of a 4-6k stone for harder j knives will definitely be appreciated for the j knives you will purchase in the future.

everything except the king and the naniwa aotoshi will work really well with harder steels

=D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:19 am 

one last thing, on your current knives that you listed on there. you can stop at the naniwa aotoshi when sharpening. and you can retouch the edges with that as well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:37 am 
Forum Moderator

I'd suggest the Nubatama 150 Bamboo and the Nubatama Ume 1k black brick. Most of your knives will be very dull and you want to quickly reestablish an edge and repair 'chips and tips' efficiently. Then a 1k edge on cheap knives will be just fine - until it is dull and/or damaged again. These knives are soft and going to be getting used hard. You want a big stone - they don't 'walk away' as easily and you are going to be putting a lot of wear on them. You also don't need a stone holder with big stones - just lay a towel under them.

Add the 60 grit ume for an environment like this. It will also do double duty as a flattener.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:12 am 

Thank you Franz and Ken for your feedback!

Ken, thank you for bring up the Nubatama stones. I have a few questions I would like to ask about them.
My plan as noted above is to use the King 250/1000 combo my friend is giving me along with a 140 Grit Diamond Plate and Universal Stone Holder, a Latte 400 Grit Stone and a Naniwa Aotoshi 2k Green Brick. Already planning to replace the King combo with the Nubatama Bamboo 220 Grit and Chosera 1000 Grit. Initially hoping to gain some experience with some of the various popular stones and check out their various qualities, cutting ability, feedback, hard/soft, mud, etc...

I also have a Nubatama Bamboo 150 Grit on my list of stones to test drive. Mostly interested in using the 150 to follow the generic 140 Grit Diamond Plate and clean up the scratch from the diamond plate. This leads into my question about the proper/recommended use for a diamond plate vs. the Nubatama bamboo 150 (low grit stone) vs. The Nubatama Ume 60 grit stone. It seems that there is some overlap between these three options or am I missing something? Maybe I should ask what the optimal use of each of these three would be?

What does one flatten the Nubatama Ume 60 grit stone with? Will a 140 diamond plate flatten a 60 grit stone? Do you follow the Ume 60 with the Bamboo 150?

Do you prefer the Nubatama Ume 1K black brick over the Chosera 1K? How would you compare these two stones?, the strengths and weaknesses of each?

Lastly is there any benefit to using a series of stones from the same company vs. the mix and match approach I'm planning to use? 140 Grit Diamond Plate > Nubatama bamboo 150 > Nubatama Bamboo 220/King 250 > Latte 400 > Chosera 1K/King 1K > Naniwa Aotoshi 2k > ???

And there are still a few companies, Shapton, Imanishi, etc... I would like to get experience with before I start exploring some Japanese carbon knives and sticking my toes into the japanese naturals pond.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:37 am 

i personally just use a diamond plate just for flattening and have a generic carborundum stone for grinding down knives. i plan on getting a good low grit stone as well, but i gotta make do with what i got for the meantime.

my next 1k stone will be a shapton pro. but a larger 1k stone will really help specially with the number of knives you'll need to sharpen. also eyeing the latte 400 as well. it'll be part of my next purchase here on cktg along with the shapton 1k.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:04 pm 

From personal experience I believe the 60 grit Ume is not a very good grinding stone. Very little grab and lots of slipping on the surface as if the stone is glazed. I would go with the 150 and 1k bamboo stones like Ken mentioned and a strop with some 15-30 Micron compound.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next