It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:02 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Brand New Takeda 240mm
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:43 pm 

Good evening CKTG-izens,

I've just got a glorious new Takeda Gyuto in my possession, and have read that most Japanese knives don't come quite "finished" out of the box, so I was thinking about taking it to the stones already. I've got a 6k Nubatama I've been dying to try out, do you think that grit will get the job done or do I need to go further down to ~1k?

Post subject: Re: Brand New Takeda 240mm
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:01 am 
Forum Moderator

Try it. If you don't change angles, you should be fine. If it's not coarse enough, nothing's lost.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:17 am 

I would think that it would be somewhere around 1K ootb. 6K sounds like the perfect place to start.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:28 pm 

I was going to make a new posting -- but this is a good starting point.

I have a new takeda 270mm and I'm loving it, but there are a few small chips developing near the heel (handle-endof the blade). Is there somethign I'm doing wrong? I'm not using it on anything too hard...and I use a smooth F-Dick butcher's steel with it, using about 4-5 gentle passes before use.

But my real question is this: what angle do Takedas come with, and what angle should I be putting on the blade? I know its personal preference - but for multi-use, is 13 too aggressive? I have an edge-pro. I put a 15 on my german knives which is fine... the edges don't hold up all that well but I'm fine with that.

Thakns for suggestions!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:10 am 

From what I understand the Takedas are usually ground under 10*.

And the 6k worked like a charm, thanks guys.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:55 am 
Forum Moderator

Vectron, thanks for the feedback!

13 isn't too aggressive. If it is for your style of cutting, just add a 15 degree microbevel. I've gone very acute on Takedas and they held fine for me in my hands - as acute as a final microbevel of 7 degrees per side, starting with a thinning grind of 3 and then 5 degrees (triple bevel) - on a 311 mm sujihiki :) It was used strictly for slicing, not chopping.

BTW, Takedas look really nice with a natural stone finish on them :) The Tajima is a middle grit stone that really brings out the contrast on these knives very well.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tajimanakado.html

This stone is small and fits in a standard stoneholder. A full sized Tajima stone is considerably more expensive.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]