It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:40 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: New to free hand sharpening. 5 questions.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:20 am 

"...Why does everyone generally throw SHUN knives in the "do not buy" pile....???"

I don't think it's in the do not buy pile. I just believe that Shun was the brand that really broke the ice with J knives. And for the enthusiast, they have just moved to newer more interesting knives. Shun is old news for them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:48 am 

Enthusiast huh..I could easily see myself riding that. If they only get better from Shun in the J knives then wow. Makes my old set seem like a garden rock with an edge. Well actually without the edge. When my wife and I bought them I had know clue this site was lurking a button stroke away with a strong culture surrounding knives. But alas...baby steps are needed....Let me learn to put an edge on them...I just can't stomach the thought of investing into a decent knife set and not knowing how to maintain it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:01 am 
Forum Moderator

jwweekly wrote: On a side note. Why does everyone generally throw SHUN knives in the "do not buy" pile....???

I think the consensus you reference is in regards to their VG-10 lines... Classic, Onion, whatever else. VG-10 is not so popular with the knife nuts due to its tendency to chip. I have sharpened quite a few Shuns for some cooks. They were all chipped.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:46 am 

Good responses Jeff B and Melampus, you hit the nail on the head.
For me here in Nova Scotia Canada, the best knives I'm given to sharpen are indeed Shun, Global and MAC and they are quite often chipped. I guess I take it for granted now because they are easy to repair, but for an owner who has no idea what to do with their relatively new and expensive but chipped knife it must be quite upsetting. My own Shun, now 3 years old has never chipped but that is because I re-sharpen it at least once a month. When folks in my area go knife shopping however, it is these brands of knives that are most appealing to the eye and that is what lures folks in. (It's a real treat for me when a Chef gives me a knife he purchased online from CKtG or another spot, it's like having a celebrity drop by for dinner)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:31 pm 

After I got a small Murray Carter Funyaki, I got addicted to the performance of a super thin knife and thinned my Shun quite a bit. I normally sharpen it to around 15-degrees; after a few weeks, there is visible micro-chipping. Certainly doesn't happen on the Carter knife. Doesn't bother me, though; the Shun needs sharpening at this point anyway, and as others have said, it's easy to bring it back to screaming sharp.

Great knife, but I wouldn't buy another seeing what else I could get for the same or less money. My girlfriend loves it because of the heft and the handle-heavy balance.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:10 am 

OK... Waiting over a weekend for my stones to come in Monday has is as much torment as I can take. Why did I wait that one extra day to order?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:28 am 

Ah the wait.......does it get any better! :roll:

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2