It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:50 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Victorinox Honing
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:46 pm 

The nicks in the blade are probably an end product of using a grooved steel. Any stone between 400-600 grit stone will reset the bevel on a Victorinox. A 1000k stone after will finish it off, that will put it back to around a factory edge. You can go higher but the 1k will probably be fine with you. Anything above 3k on that type of knife is usually a waste of time. I take my Victorinox to 1k, sometimes 3k if I'm just goofing off and the edge is better but not by much.
Shapton Glass stones are great for those new to sharpening because they are hard and don't gouge easily but can be a little costly. Bester stones are popular with newbes and pros alike and give the best bang for your buck. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/besterstones.html

Post subject: Re: Victorinox Honing
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:07 am 

"Would i need a stone to reset the bevel or a chefschoice?"

Some TV and Cable chefs who do not pay for their own knives use a Chef's Choice electric sharpener. Chefs who pay for their own knives and need them to last, don't use a Chef's Choice as it could be called a "poor choice".

Page 2 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2