It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:46 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Benriner
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:43 pm 

If this is inappropriate and gets removed I'll understand.
Does anyone have any tips/methods for sharpening the slicer blade on the Benriner mandolin?

Post subject: Re: Benriner
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:47 am 
Site Admin

It's no problem. :)

I wish I could find these for the store. I've looked a bit but can't locate the distributor. I haven't tried sharpening mine but it doesn't look too dificult.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:21 pm 

It seems that it would be easier to sharpen the blade while it is mounted in the frame. For the price you can't beat them. Especially if you only use them occasionally.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:17 am 

I have two of these, the small blue one and the larger tan one. Just take the blade out and sharpening like you are sharpening a knife. The bevel is very pronounced on the blade, so just follow it and you can put a really nice edge on these things. In fact, the first thing I do when I get one is take the blade out and put a decent edge on it. I really performs well after that. PS, I really like these things as well.... I have a shun mandoline which is rarely used.... Too big and too unwieldy to clean. The Benriners I grab almost like they are knives. In other words, all the time.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm 

Like Chester I've sharpened my blade. There are two screws that hold it in place. Not a bad idea to pull the blade on occasion just to get the food that get's stuck around the blade. It's a wide single bevel or at most a 90/10. Reminds me of a honesuki. Easy to sharpen, just awkward to hold since there is no handle and it's short but certainly doable.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:16 pm 

Thanks for the advice. I've been out of town for a few days and need to do a little sharpening of SOMETHING as I am going into withdrawl!LOL

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:26 pm 
Site Admin

Tell us how it goes. I might take mine apart and take a shot at it. It looks easy. Straight blade with a single sided grind should be easy if you can grip it.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:48 pm 

Do it Mark! You will be surprised by what this $30 dollar mandoline can do once it has a really sharp blade. Like I said, I use my Benriner far more than my $300 dollar Shun.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]