It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:10 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Knife use "frequency"
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:02 pm 

How often do you use your blades?

I use 2 gyutos back and forth daily. If it was not an issue of money I would own 40 knives and use a different one every day. Pro chefs, what are you doing?

Post subject: Re: Knife use "frequency"
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:39 pm 
Forum Moderator

40....LMBO!! That makes me feel kind of stupid actually.

I don't own any where near that today, but in my hay day I had just a few more than 40.

Sorry, back to the question.....I use 3 different primary knives in rotation when I cook. Not a professional chef though.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:21 pm 

I primarily use a gyuto, a cheap german f.dick for tough stuff, and a boning knife. But I would have many more if money were not an issue..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:35 pm 

At work, I use one of two 240mm gyutos to do the bulk of the prep, a 210mm gyuto for use on the line, and occasionally a paring knife, and I usually work six day weeks. At home, I use a carbon nakiri and petty knife to prepare most dinners. I find the pace of these two knives to accommodate my home kitchen much better that a gyuto, and it gives me a chance to play with different knives. I use a honesuki as much as home cooking allows me, and I wish I had a need to use is at work.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:02 am 

I will rotate my knives to use every 2nd or 3rd day except paring knife and usuba. Those may be used everyday. I like to give my wa-handles time to dry. Keeping knives in rotation lets me go longer between handle maintinence sessions and gives me time to sharpen the dull pieces. The best part is always having a sharp knife on hand.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:13 am 

I use 2 240 wa gyutos at work rotating every week along with 150 wa mm petty , 90 mm paring and a 170mm nakiri . During serivice nakiri goes in the knife case and depending on the menu 270 suji or takohiki comes out . At home when I cook I use a 210mm gyuto , 150 mm petty and my cheap good old kiwi brand nakiri .

https://www.facebook.com/merttansuknives

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:35 pm 

I've tried to keep to a dozen knives in the work kit. Currently I have 14, so I need to weed a few that aren't getting used.

I rotate gyutos, and grab different ones dependant on work load and variety.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:07 pm 

I cook at home probably five nights a week and most nights it's a combination of a 240 gyuto and a 150 petty. On occasion the german versions of that combination come out. I need to go back to my Hiromoto AS santoku, but have been playing with my new toys lately.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:27 pm 

I can get through a shift with just one 240mm gyuto. I have a western boning knife on hand, and a bread knife that come out occasionally. I wish I had more need for the bread knife because its the Tojiro and its kind of cool. Looking to purchase a petty and nakiri to complete my knife kit. At home I just grab whatever, and if its not feeling super sharp, then great! I have something to practice sharpening.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]