It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:58 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ozuku Asagi, Imanishi, or Shapton 16k Glass
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:46 pm 

So if I were to buy a higher grit to follow up after the 8k Shapton Glass, here are my options. I am looking for to put a sharper edge on my kitchen knives and my pocket knives while increasing the polish/mirror look.

Shapton 16k Glass
Nubatama Bamboo 10k
Ozuku Asagi Natural Stone
Imanishi 10K

Post subject: Re: Ozuku Asagi, Imanishi, or Shapton 16k Glass
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

Shapton GS 16k wins by far!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:49 pm 

I have the 10K Imanishi and the Ozuku,I really like the Imanishi,best 10k mirror I have seen,but dishes really fast,the ozuku is for more of a screaming sharp toothy edge used after a 10,12,16k edge.

If you are looking for a highly polished edge def go with the shapton,it will outlast the imanishi quadruple,plus I highly doubt the imanishi does near as well on the harder steels than the shapton.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:01 am 
Forum Moderator

(some of this posted elsewhere as well)

Just to add a few more options to the mix:

Shapton Pro 15k
Nubatama Bamboo 15k
Other High grit Natural stones (Okudo Asagi, Nakayama Asagi, Mukaida, Yaginoshima asagi, Hakka, etc)
Naniwa superstone 10k and 12k
Chocera 10k

The Nubatama 15k is an exceptional stone, especially for carbon steel knives. For stainless it also works well, but if all you are doing is stainless, it isn't worth the extra expense. For Carbon steels, it is worth it (IMO) and would be a top choice. It will be available shortly for the EP. It combines the best of both natural and synthetic finishes. I suspect it is a finer finish than 15k, in some ways rivaling the 30k Shaptons but acts additionally more like a natural stone on carbon steels.

The Shapton pro 15k reacts in a similar manner to the 16k GlassStone. Differences in performance relate to the particular steel being sharpened. Both produce a finer finish than the Naniwa stones, but are not quite as pleasurable to use (subjective).

I prefer the Nubatama 10k over the Imanishi 10k, but I do have my biases.

The natural stones I mention vary quite a bit between these types. So for the natural stones I mentioned above all but the Hakka are very hard stones, while the Hakka is both a fine stone and a soft stone. The Mukaida is a very hard stone too. The Ozuku asagi is a hard stone.

The Superstone 10k is a favorite among many. A fairly soft stone. The 12k is significantly harder and slightly finer as expected. The Chocera 10k has a higher grit density.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]