It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:08 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Grit to stop at for Misono UX10?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:10 pm 

Sharpened my Misono UX10 Santoku today and used this progression:

Chosera 400
Chosera 1000
Chosera 3000

Stopped there - thoughts?

What are some other progressions that some may favor for this knife? It was pretty dull - now it is very sharp with some bite.

Real Money Fantasy Leagues

Post subject: Re: Grit to stop at for Misono UX10?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:08 am 
Forum Moderator

CORP <> Where you stop depends on what you're cutting, but I wouldn't start out @400 unless that knife was abused & you need to correct a bevel. Obviously, you can restrict the amount of passes, but no need to start cutting w/a 400; a few more passes on your 1K will bring a UX10 into shape quickly. If you like the bite of the 3K edge, stop there. On a Santoku, I'm not sure you need more refinement, but it depends on what your fabricating & your personal preference. If you happen to be slicing meats or working with a lot of hard veggie, refine the edge a bit more to see how you like it. The Santoku's claim to fame is its versatility & as such a 3k edge might be a nice compromise for you. Only one way to know what works best for you... experiment.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:24 pm 

Reason I started at 400 is the knife hasn't been sharpened ever after about 1 year of heavy use. It was dull dull dull.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

...that would definitely qualify as "abused," and in need of a bevel reset. ;)

Stay sharp as Mark always says... hopefully with your new toy it doesn't make it a whole year again. :P

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:20 pm 

Ya - now that I am into it and have all the toys (edge pro and hand stones), I will be touching up my knives every couple weeks on a 1000 or 2000 grit stone.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:49 pm 
Forum Moderator

Where you stop, and the benefits of doing so, is a topic I doubt we'll ever all agree on. Me, I never stop on any knife until I've hit my 10,000 grit Naniwa SS.

Some will say a highly polished edge will last longer, some will say a toothier edge will last longer.

Some will say that a highly polished edge won't cute protein's as well as a toothier edge.....so on and so forth.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:38 am 
Forum Moderator

400 for an abused edge is reasonable and Adam nailed it. There is no one answer to this question. Like what's the best ice cream flavor. For some knives a mid grit 2-3 k or an aoto is a fine stopping point. For other knives the party is just beginning at 10k if I want to go to a 624k edge.

An orthopedic surgeon was once asked what too much force was and he suggested that you push it until it breaks .... and then back off a little next time :) Not a very good surgeon btw.

Go to a higher grit and see if you like it ... and back off if it's too refined for your tastes.

Now that I see what I wrote, I'm really not adding anything new to the topic, so I'll just leave it as a +1 to what's already been said.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]