It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:44 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: 270 Sujihiki
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:04 pm 

Hello Mark. Looking for a 270 Suji. Was eyeballing the Richmond line ups. Looking at the Laser and the Damascus...especially the ones with the pretty handles...:0) was wondering what the spine thickness on each is. I bought a 300mm Konosuke White #2 which is really nice. Best fish knife Ever! It slides through salmon, tuna and halibut like butter. Makes it a joy to fabricate fish as well as ribeye and strip loin. I would like one a bit shorter and stiffer for use in the line. We do a lot of Prime on Friday nights. I gave my old slicer from school to a friend and the 300 is a bit to long for the line. Which is your pic of these two as well as any others. You have never steered me wrong.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: 270 Sujihiki
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:51 am 

If anyone wants to chime in, please do.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:55 am 
Forum Moderator

I have a White #2 Kono Suji as well, but haven't had anything to use it on yet :*( I also have the Artifex 270, so I will compare the flex in both when I get home from work. FYI, the Artifex at 270 is only a little bit shorter than the Kono in terms of actual blade length since Kono measures from Machi to Tip instead of the blade edge, so just keep that in mind when looking for a new one! I will try to get a pic of both side by side. The Laser and Damascus are both Out of Stock, but Mark may know the spine thickness to compare.

I rehandled a 270mm Tojiro DP suji and it was much stiffer than the Artifex and Kono 300mm, and it was also a lot heavier weight wise, too. Didn't feel as balanced as well as the other ones I have played with.

I'm guessing you are looking for a stainless suji with Wa handle, $300 ish budget?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, I'd be careful about wanting a shorter suji going from a 300mm wa to 270mm western.....they will be very close in edge length most likely.

The Richmond Damascus is going to be stiffer than the laser. The Laser is a very thin knife, whereas the Damascus is more substantial.

Between the two, I'd pick based on which I wanted more....stiff or flex.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

Sorry for the finger smudges!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:31 am 

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice. Taz, go buy a side of salmon, cure it then use your Suji to skin and slice it. You will get goose bumps. No lie. Watercrawl, what I guess it boils down to it I would like a slicer type knife that is more compare than the 300 Konosuke. I understand about the blade edge. What I am really looking as it stiffness...I'd like stiffer...who wouldn't ;0). And overall length. The space I have to work in is quite limited. Im also a geek so sex appeal is important. You know what I mean. Lol. Thanks so much to all of you for the input.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:56 am 
Forum Moderator

Oh, I know it's going to perform!!! Waiting for a nice rare beef tenderloin to turn her a pretty blue!!!

I would go for the Damascus Richmond Suji; it should hit all of your criteria. Not sure how stiff the Moritaka and Takeda Yanagiba's are; they are double bevel, but carbon and rustic looking with the Kurouchi finish.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:38 pm 

Where I'm at two of the line guys use Misono ux10's240 suji's for the reasons you stated. The others use various sujis which seem to outnumber gyuto's. If you're interested in a 240 ux10 I have one.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]