It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:33 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 1st J knife purchased! lost by hotel!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:30 am 

Ive been reading this forum for about a week or two but his is my first post.

Ive been cooking for about ten years. Im on my 2nd line cook job and up until now all ive owned have been walmart knives, a kiwi(that I use daily) and a mercer 8" chef knife. After some debate I purchased a 240 fujiwara carbon suji.

I had it shipped to the hotel that I work at since im there more than my home and id rather the knife not sit outside my front door till I get home from work. I assumed itd be safer at a hotel front desk...

The knife got to work on my day off. I got the delivery notice in my email and noticed it was signed for. I figured instead of going to work on my day off, Id get the knife the next day.

I go in today and the front desk guy cant find it. I come back later when the manager is there and ask her, i mention the name that the fedex email mentioned signing for it and it was the front desk guy I asked earlier. He doesnt remember...what the box looks like, where it is, or where he put it. He "never touched it", meaning he left it on the check-in counter where the fedex guy left it, where any passing customer could have taken it from. Is it SOP to leave guest mail on a public counter next to the business cards? (rhetorical)

We have cameras but I dont know if they record and how many days they record for.

I told my chef and the manager to mention it to the GM since he should have video access. (He mas in meetings while I was at work.) I plan on going in early tomorrow to talk to the GM. I hope hes working since its a Sat.

If hes NOT working tomorrow and my chef didnt get him to look at the tapes...I doubt the video will be there monday(since they prob only record for a day or two unless something happens to cause them to save a certain tape.)

What would you do in my situation regarding the hotel?
Would you purchase the knife again already?

I may get a $40 tojiro petty for now and pick up a 270 fujiwara suji when they come in.

Post subject: Re: 1st J knife purchased! lost by hotel!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:38 am 
Forum Moderator

I would be emailing and faxing everyone for a paper trail: Chef, Human Resources, GM, Food & Beverage Director, Head of Security. CC everyone & know anything spoken... does not exist. Treat it like a big deal, it will dealt with commensurately. The squeaky wheel gets the grease...

You have every right to file a police report, as well. This action will guarantee attention... but do you really want it?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:08 am 

i know i would, just so they understand not to mess with my stuff.

=D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

YOS9 <> I hope you have taken actions to lead to some resolution. That front desk guy is responsible as he signed for it, and the Hotel is responsible for ensuring its employ follow SOP so any excuse about passing the buck to the next phase of procedure - albeit the "mail-boy" lost it after he took it from the desk - is moot.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:51 pm 

Melampus wrote:YOS9 <> I hope you have taken actions to lead to some resolution. That front desk guy is responsible as he signed for it, and the Hotel is responsible for ensuring its employ follow SOP so any excuse about passing the buck to the next phase of procedure - albeit the "mail-boy" lost it after he took it from the desk - is moot.

Ill be going in to work today for 1pm. Will update tonight I suppose.

Last edited by yosarian9 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:21 pm 

You might consider choosing your battles? We are talking about a $77 knife. If I'm the boss and someone files a police report over $77 is not going to be around for much longer. I'd also expect that the cops at the police station are less that helpful when they get the gist of why you want to report if they will even take a report on it at all. At the same time the guy that couldn't remember would be gone on the spot.

I'm sorry you lost your knife, I get that it sucks. Pressing this may turn bad for you in the long run though I am afraid. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:35 pm 

Paradox wrote:You might consider choosing your battles? We are talking about a $77 knife. If I'm the boss and someone files a police report over $77 is not going to be around for much longer. I'd also expect that the cops at the police station are less that helpful when they get the gist of why you want to report if they will even take a report on it at all. At the same time the guy that couldn't remember would be gone on the spot.

I'm sorry you lost your knife, I get that it sucks. Pressing this may turn bad for you in the long run though I am afraid. Good luck.

Yes on all parts.
Im not sure what im going to do.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:08 pm 

I don't care if it's a $77 dollar knife or a $7000 dollar knife, this man is entitled to his property. I would be raising all kinds of hell. If they fired me for wanting my property then so be it, that's not the kind of place I want to work for if they can't treat me any better than that. I would draw my unemployment until I found another job. Something tells me that a line cook with 10 years experience wouldn't have trouble finding another job. And as far as the person that lost the package, if he got fired too, good. What if it was a $7000 knife, if he's not anymore responsible than that he shouldn't be working there either. If he didn't want to be responsible for the package he shouldn't have signed for it.

Off my soapbox now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:40 am 

Jeff B wrote:I don't care if it's a $77 dollar knife or a $7000 dollar knife, this man is entitled to his property. I would be raising all kinds of hell. If they fired me for wanting my property then so be it, that's not the kind of place I want to work for if they can't treat me any better than that.My thoughts exactly. It seems as if its not a priority for them. Maybe if the authorities were involved or a bad review on tripadvisor was written it would be a priority. I would draw my unemployment until I found another job. Something tells me that a line cook with 10 years experience wouldn't have trouble finding another job. And as far as the person that lost the package, if he got fired too, good. What if it was a $7000 knife,or a guests luggage... even as it is, its mail thats missing. if he's not anymore responsible than that he shouldn't be working there either.
+1
If he didn't want to be responsible for the package he shouldn't have signed for it.

Off my soapbox now.

The human resources lady says that "the video doesnt show the box being moved." I told her it must have(since it wasnt there) and she just needed to watch more of it. The GM came in the kitchen and didnt even speak to me. I dont understand how a GM can know a theft happened and not say a single word to the person who was stolen from.

Last edited by yosarian9 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:00 am 

Well said Jeff. Here in Seattle 10 year line cooks are homeless since their unemployment has run out and they can't even get work flipping burgers. You ever lived on unemployment? I have and it sucks, it's a fraction of what you would be making on a job. If you can afford the high road then good on you. Many of us can't though.

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next