It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:56 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sharpton Glass stone progression
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:41 pm 

Hi:
The Sharpton Glass 2k is out of stock.
Is it too much of a jump from a Chosera 800 to the Sharpton Glass 4K then the 8K?
I'll be sharpening a Konosuke HD Gyuto, Richmond Artifex, Wusthof classics, Forchners & Dexters.
I apologize for the multiple post but I want to get this right.
Thanks,
Rick

Post subject: Re: Sharpton Glass stone progression
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:44 am 

I don't have a Chosera stone but I have the 500, 1k, 2k, 6k and 8k Shapton glass EP stones. I could go from the 1k to the 6k fine but I like throwing the 2k in. This way the 6k only needs to work on 2k scratches instead of 1k scratches. Plus, just my opinion but I think the 2k Shapton glass stone is about as perfect asyou can get as a quick touch up stone when you just need a touch up and no time or need for a more refine or smooth edge. I believe the edge I get from the 2k is great. VERY sharp with a little toothiness. This is based on what small experience I have.

When I wanted the 8k Shapton glass for the EP it was out of stock so I got the 6k thinking it may be as fine as I will want.. It does leave a very nice "almost" mirror bevel. I ended up getting the 8k later thinking the 6k would not get used. Not true. I may not "need" the 6k for adequate progression but I'm glad I have it. On knives I don't care about a mirror finish I can save the use of the 8k.

Hope this helps but not sure it does. About the only way I ever know what to do is buy everything over time and sell what I decide I don't need later. Some wasted money over time but at least I know I have what I want.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:29 pm 

Jackknifeh:
Thank you for the detailed response.
Mark suggested that I try the Naniwa 2K green brick stone, the free handers love it, so I'm going to give it a try.
I"m in Jacksonville, where are you in the Sunshine State?
Rick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:13 am 
Forum Moderator

Yea you need a 2k in the mix for these knives. For the last three you might find that past 2k is a bit of a wasted effort. For the first two (better) knives, jumping that big of a gap is unwise for reasons jackknifeh already mentioned.

I'd lean towards the 2k Shapton pro if the glass is unavailable as the most similar to the following GS stones vs a 2k Chocera to match the preceding 800 stones. This will better 'set up' your 4k and 8k glass stones for a precise edge.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]