It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:57 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Carbon Steel Knives
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:25 am 

Don't forget to look over the Usuba/Nakiri's!

Most of my cutting/chopping involves vegetables(much to their dismay). :D I was in the same kind of situation as i have a good twin 10" henckel and a smaller not as great (single twin) henckel. (I wanted to replace the cheaper Henckel with the Yamashin Ko Yanagi, but like a fool i waited, now they're all gone)

So, getting another gyuto style, at the moment, seemed redundant. After i witnessed the skills of a few guys who were adept with a Nakiri, that's what i wanted. Now, i'm addicted to them. :?

I'm now looking at my third Nakiri(or Usuba), and getting a magnetic rack to line them all up nicely on.
Nothing beats a Usuba/Nakiri for vegetables, which is 85% of my knife use. As a result, i've found that don't like the feel of Nakiri that is under 50mm in height.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:49 am 
Forum Moderator

The 165 may or may not have the knuckle clearance that you are looking for; I haven't played with it to know. The Wustoff 8" is going to going to feel COMPLETELY different from a 210mm gyuto. The gyuto will be much thinner and lighter weight, especially a Wa style handle and be much nicer to cut with. Do you like to commute to work with a old, heavy pick up (Wustoff) or go to work in a sportscar (Japanese style knives)? They will both get the job done, but in different ways! TONS of good 210mm gyuto's out there that will be much nicer than the Wustoff in use.

If you want something different, maybe look at a 210mm Petty/Suji; they are sometimes a bit taller than a 150mm petty for knuckle clearance and many pro chefs are using them as line knives since they are 8" long, but are still nimble for the finer slicing and cutting tasks. Not sure which ones Mark has that will fall into this category, though? It's kind of a new market and not all of the 210mm pettys will give you clearance.

The Deba is a single bevel/hollow back knife made for processing and breaking down fish. It's beefy and not a general purpose knife.

I still say go for the Tanaka Sekiso; it performs very well on everything I have used it on, lighter than the Wustoff, etc. I don't use 210mm gyuto's or my Nakiris as much anymore since getting it. It is only slightly behind the nakiri's on performance in most veggies and beats my nakiri in sweet potatoes.

If you do a lot of veggie prep like Desol said, a Nakiri is a great knife for veggies and will help you keep your gyuto sharper since the cutting tasks are split with 2 knives instead of using one for everything!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:31 am 

Taz, I went with your suggestion (my first choice) and decided to go all out for the Tanaka Sekiso (I placed the order today)! Desol, I'll keep the nakiri/usuba knives in mind for the future. Anything I need to avoid cutting with the Tanaka? Thanks again for your suggestions and help.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:35 am 
Forum Moderator

Frozen foods and bones are no good for any Japanese style knife; they will chip easily because the steel is hard.

Page 3 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3