It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:03 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Conversion time! Westerns to Wa!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

I had two conversions to work on this week. One was a 260mm Grand Cheff K tip (convert to western shape handle, metal end cap) with Buckeye Burl wood and the second was a Artifex Scimitar to a Wa style handle in a Western shape in a laminate with Red, Grey and White (Ohio State Univ colors) and black ferrule. Customer wanted a bigger/longer handle for the Scimitar. Also redid the handle on a Nenox and used Green Maple Burl.

Scimitar:

New vs old handle for scale:

K tip and Nenox: Blue liners used on both, custom has small hands, so I did the handles a bit on the small side. The Nenox has been reground to a convex on the left and right side, and a slightly steeper secondary convex on the right near the edge. Customer wanted to try to convert it to a single bevel, but there just wasn't enough steel to do it w/o making the blade too thin.

Post subject: Re: Conversion time! Westerns to Wa!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:34 am 
Forum Moderator

Love the green one.

Nice work.

:)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:49 am 
Forum Moderator

I hated working on the Nenox and trying to get the angles to match up with the fixed bolsters!! I got it to slice nicely when I re ground it. I was surprised at the Grand Chef; it takes a wicked edge pretty easily!!! Now that I know that it's AEB-L, I know why, but it was a nice surprise for stainless. Took a much nicer, cleaner edge than the Nenox.

The scimitar feels much nicer with the longer, fatter handle to it, too :) Balances 1/8" in front of the heel.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:38 am 
Forum Moderator

Man, I wish I lived closer to you. You'd never get rid of me. :D

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:44 am 

Well done on that nenox. Last time I tried one I ended up wasting a few sets of scales, lol.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:25 am 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, I came close to messing up the scales on this one! I had a nice fat block and instead of slicing it down into 2 sets of scales, I left it as 2 thick scales so I could do the flare in the middle. After I got the handles fit finally and epoxied, I was shaping it down a little, and an eye popped out of the wood. I was able to fill the hole with epoxy, but I thought I was going to have to order a new block of green wood and then remove the scales and liners and start from scratch.

Gonna work on some Octagons next!! I ordered a bunch of wood from Woodcraft; Olivewood, Cocobolo, Black Mora, Marblewood, etc to make some Wa handles in the Octagon shape. Figured I would start with some less expensive woods to begin with before going to the stabilized burls. I will do some with the wooden down method, and I may try a tenon. Otherwise I will do the aluminum tubing. I picked up a keyway broach and modified it to broach out the handle to fit the tang in to, so I have a few new things to play with!

The K tip is my favorite out of the 3. Takes a stupidly sharp, clean edge and the Buckeye came out really nicely on it!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:34 pm 

nice work on all the above.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:09 am 
Forum Moderator

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

135mm Dojo Blue petty converted to a Wa handle with Stabilized Claro Walnut burl and Stabilized Maple Burl. I never rehandled a Dojo yet because of the weird tang style; it's almost a full tang on the back side, but on the finger side, there is no tang exposed. So I converted it to a Wa! This is a pretty wide blade compared to other 150mm petty's. I wanted to practice another Octagon Wa handle, but ran into some issues with the tool rest on my belt sander, so it became a bit smaller than I wanted and more square than oval. But I got the belt sander issues fixed and I am gearing up to do more Wa handles!

On the table:

In the hand, makes it look completely different size wise!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]