It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:32 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Moldmaster stones from Congress Tools
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:38 am 

Thats great news on the stones from mold shop tools being available,are you sure they are all available in the 1\4x1x6 for sale by individual stones?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lucian,

Yep. If you do a search for ch1401 you will get a listing of all the CS-HD 1/4 x 1 x 6 stones that they have, and if you do a search for pc1401 you will get the PC stone. I'll call them tomorrow to see if they have any other PC stones in the 1/4 x 1 x 6 size that aren't listed. As of tonight, only the PC 1200 is listed, but they might have others.

Thanks again for all your help.

JacksonH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:31 pm 

HerbGardenMarkers wrote:
Thats great news on the stones from mold shop tools being available,are you sure they are all available in the 1\4x1x6 for sale by individual stones?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lucian,

Yep. If you do a search for ch1401 you will get a listing of all the CS-HD 1/4 x 1 x 6 stones that they have, and if you do a search for pc1401 you will get the PC stone. I'll call them tomorrow to see if they have any other PC stones in the 1/4 x 1 x 6 size that aren't listed. As of tonight, only the PC 1200 is listed, but they might have others.

Thanks again for all your help.

JacksonH

Good job mate,I will tell you the 800,1000,and 1200 do tend to load as well as the pc stones,not really a big deal if you lap regularly.I use a worn diamond plate for minimal stone loss.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:20 pm 

Lucian,

I called MoldShopTools and the only PC stone they have in stock is the 1200; they have 9 of them. They said they don't have any other grits and won't order other grits since there is not much demand for them. I suspect that when the 9 are gone, they won't be ordering any more, so get 'em while you can.

Where did you get the micron data for the various stones? Knowing the micron size of the various grit stones would be good to know. I called Boride, but couldn't get an answer from them.

Any other info that you think I need to know about the cs-hd or the pc stones would be great. I'll probably place my order in a couple of days.

Thanks,

JacksonH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:40 am 

HerbGardenMarkers wrote:Lucian,

I called MoldShopTools and the only PC stone they have in stock is the 1200; they have 9 of them. They said they don't have any other grits and won't order other grits since there is not much demand for them. I suspect that when the 9 are gone, they won't be ordering any more, so get 'em while you can.

Where did you get the micron data for the various stones? Knowing the micron size of the various grit stones would be good to know. I called Boride, but couldn't get an answer from them.

Any other info that you think I need to know about the cs-hd or the pc stones would be great. I'll probably place my order in a couple of days.

Thanks,

JacksonH

Im gonna go ahead and order 2 of the pc stones,thanks for the heads up.I wouldnt bother with anything but the 900 and 1200 pc stones,and you can probably do without the 900 if you have any of the 1200 ep stones.They are strictly made for high shine and luster,I assume the 600 flex stone you bought will perform somewhat like the pc.As far as the micron data look in the sharpening Q&A here at the forum in the grand unified chart thread on the last page I posted a chart that boride sent me,Im sure they use the FEPA standard.Also there is some MM stone numbers as well on the grand unified chart.

Not much more I can really say on the cs-hd stones,I just think they are a great value,I like to use them up to the 1200 mark and go with a various japanese stones after that.With the lower grits I use the 120,220,and 320 cs-m stones,they dish rather quickly but I use those in 1\2 thick and they arent much higher,and get the job done quickly.I prefer the boride stones over the congress ones as far as quality control goes,with the stones being uniform.I have ordered 3 times from congress and all the stones I recieved had to be lapped extensively before putting them on a blank,plus they only have one 1200 grit stone,the rest stop at 600.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:12 pm 

Lucian,

The chart from Boride is very helpful. Thanks for pointing me to it. And thanks for all of your comments. You seem to be quite knowledgeable about knife sharpening, where I am just getting started. You have helped me quite a bit.

I think that I will be in rather good shape, stonewise, once I get my stones from MoldShopTools. I have been pretty pleased with the results that I get now, and the highest grit I have been using is the MM 400, which has a particle size of 40 microns. Adding a progression of cs-hd stones up to 1200, and the pc 1200 should really make a difference. I'd rather not fall down the Chosara/Shapton rabbit hole, but ya never know.

Thanks again mate,

JacksonH

p.s. My 2nd order from Congress Tools is lost in the mail, so I've been calling them about it for the last several days. They finally said that they will ship a replacement order to me, but they wanted me to pay the shipping charges. After I questioned why I should pay the shipping charges, they relented and said that they would waive them this one time. This has really soured me on Congress Tools, even though I am quite happy with their stones, notwithstanding the MM 600.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:03 pm 

More than welcome,anything Ive shared is just knowledge thats been passed down.You should be well set with the set up you have,you will be amazed at the difference in the edge going from the 1200-cshd to the 1200 pc,if you wanted to push the envelope you could go with an 8 or 10k stone after the pc,if Im pushing it I will go with a Imanishi 10K then finishing up with the 13k sigma power,which is .74 micron,trust me you will fall down the rabbit hole :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:34 am 

The OEM edge pro stones come from them apparently but as this review indicates, they actually sell some potentially even better stones that aren't part of the edge pro kits

http://www.makeitsharp.com/blog/?p=16.

The stones mentioned are very inexpensive from Boride of course and aluminum blanks are trivial to cut from stock available at, Home Depot for example, and I found they cost about a 1$ each if you cut them from a stock bar. The adhesive Ben dale uses is 3M super 77 but I suspect any good contact cement would work for gluing stones to blanks....

But as people pointed out the minimum quantities Boride requires make it impossible for an average knife owner to deal with them. However, the nice folks at: www.moldshoptools.com when I called them following the above posts they agreed to stock (in 1/4 thickness so use a drill stop collar!) all of the ones listed in the review above and some others that I suggested they get. As far as I can tell, they aren't all listed on their web site yet but if you call Kristen at 231-947-2341 she can sell them to you now...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:45 pm 

I placed an order with MoldShopTools.com for a wide assortment of 1/4" x 1" x 6" stones, 12 stones total, for just under $80. I received a 10% discount since the order total was over $25, and free shipping since the order total was over $75. I haven't received my order yet, so I haven't had a chance to try out the stones, but based on previous posts on this and other forums, I think that I will be very pleased with them.

Their customer service is excellent. I believe the vast majority of their customers are mold makers, but I think that they serve the knife sharpening community (at least the EdgePro community) very well. Calling and inquiring about specific stones that Boride makes, but are not on the MST.com website is a very good idea. They are very customer friendly and accommodating.

If there is a metal recycler or seller in your area, try them for 1/8” x 1” aluminum. They sell metal by the pound, which is quite a lot cheaper than Home Depot or Lowes which sell the same item by the piece.

JacksonH

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2