It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:32 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking for new waterstones.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:47 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,

I'm looking to purchase my first set of water stones. I will be using these to sharpen kitchen cutlery, pocket knives and potentially a straight razor.

I've been watching the Murray Carter sharpening video and he uses the King stones in 1k & 6k. What is generally considered a step or two above those?

Thanks,

Jason

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Looking for new waterstones.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:48 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jason,

Try the Shapton Glass stones. They are hard so they don't gauge and require no soaking. I like them way more than the Kings.

Kind Regards,
Mark Richmond

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

Mark,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have a couple of questions about the Shapton Glass. First, I've been watching the Murray Carter sharpening video where he criticizes ceramic sharpening rods because it is difficult to clean the metal particles out of the pores of the rod. Do the Shaptons suffer from that as well? How often will these needed to be lapped? Is a diamond plate the only thing that will successfully lap the harder ceramic?

Thanks,

Jason

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:53 pm 
Site Admin

Watch my free videos. I show you how to lap and give you demos for how to use the stones: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/knshforne1.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

You can lap the plates with wet/dry sandpaper on a very flat surface just fine.

They need lapped when they dish.....there is no absolute answer to this unfortunately. I lapped my GlassStones after every other knife maybe. But, this was on the 4k and 16k I've had. A coarser grit stone will need lapped more often than a higher grit stone just by the nature of the beast. A coarse stone erodes faster.

Yes, the GS's do "suffer" from this as well. It's what we (I) refer to as loading/glazing/etc. The surface turns black and the stone doesn't cust as well. Lapping will bring it back to life. You can also use a synthetic nagura to clean up the stone if it's still flat, but glazed over.

This is true of any waterstone and is not a trait inherent only to the GS's.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:12 am 

I've tried kings, choseras and a few others. Sold them all to by my Nubatamas. Then again, it all depends on what you'll be sharpening. If you're looking to sharpen a broad range of different blades, as you've indicated, then it might be worth the extra money to obtain stones that can cover a variety of steels. I know that there is a large following for shaptons and choseras, but I chose Nubatamas because they tend to mimic the nature of natural stones and finishes, which I personally find attractive. I now own 6 nubatamas, and appreciate each one. -Josh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:26 am 

I find the Shapton Pro a good value and quality stone. A lot more stone for the money compared the Glass Stones.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:54 am 
Forum Moderator

Shapton Pro is you want to do razors as well. I do my razors on a 1, 2, 5, 8k progression. i finish on the 15k, but you could use a different stone after the 8k if you want.

Glass stones for razors are good too, but only up to 6k, after that you need to know what you're doing or you'll get a very harsh shave.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:51 pm 

I own Shapton Glass, Shapton Pro, Chosera, Imanisihi, Sigma Power Select II and Arashiyama stones and I can say that without any doubt, the Shapton Glass products consistently provide startling results. They are easy to use, easy to clean and a breeze to maintain. Plus, they are mounted on glass, how cool is that. Some folks do not like the feel of them, they are very hard but the results just blow me away every single time, and I personally like the feel, it feels like success :)

Seriously though, I truly love my glass stones, my 500 stone is down to 1/3 of it's life and I will get another for sure.

(Have not tried Nubatama stones but plan to someday. There is one brand of stone that I plan on testing first though)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:05 pm 

forthosewhotoil76 wrote:I've tried kings, choseras and a few others. Sold them all to by my Nubatamas. Then again, it all depends on what you'll be sharpening. If you're looking to sharpen a broad range of different blades, as you've indicated, then it might be worth the extra money to obtain stones that can cover a variety of steels. I know that there is a large following for shaptons and choseras, but I chose Nubatamas because they tend to mimic the nature of natural stones and finishes, which I personally find attractive. I now own 6 nubatamas, and appreciate each one. -Josh

+1000!

Nothing else to say...

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]