It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:09 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Spring Cleaning
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

We're under some stress with too much business. So, in order to make our lives a little easier we're going to discontinue some lines.

I really want to focus on the fun stuff that you guys like and start to do away with the boring stuff. Tell me what to dump.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Spring Cleaning
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:38 pm 

make a tally of the stuff that hasn't been selling for the past year or so and start with those =D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:25 pm 

Kitchen tools probably could be thinned down. I'm sure you could do away with all but a couple honing steels and some of the more generic hand sharpeners.
Ah hell, just let a few of use come over with our shopping carts and we'll thin your inventory for you!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

Masahiro, Kasumi, Ceramic knives, Globals, Sugimoto rarely get much discussion on any knife forum I am on, but I don't know how they sell for you. MAC's are sometimes popular for beginners, but they are more expensive than other entry level knives. For the western style knives, maybe go with a Lamson product for a german style knife and also maybe as a replacement for Forschner as a lower cost knife, or keep the Forschner and 1 german style knife. You have F Dick, Henckels, Wustoff and Messermeister, which are all kind of redundant in my eyes.

This is just me talking, but I would also say Global, Mac and Shun can go (softer steel in some lines, blah designs IMHO, higher priced, etc but I know those are going to be popular sellers for people just getting into the Japanese style knives, so I think those would need to stay to compete with every other places that sells them. Or maybe pare down the selection; MAC has 6 series, or keep some of the specialty blades, like the long Global fillet knife and the higher end Shun stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:12 pm 

+1 on tim's post but i gotta keep the globals, macs and shuns just coz i know they sell so well for u.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, I think they are too good of a seller to let go, but I would like to see less of them! LOl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:15 am 

Open a satellite/affiliation business. Re-route everything to a sister site that you don't have to run, but link to. I'll do it if no one else will. I have people with time to labor.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:39 am 

It's hard to suggest advise when it's about turning down the pace of somebody's business.
Here it goes, drop the wustof, henkels, shun, globals, and maybe bunmei.
The feedback from the forum suggests that: If people have questions about chef knives, they are looking for feedback and suggestions to make an informed knife purchase. The brands I list are bought from hundreds (thousands?) of vendors across the world, by customers who don't want to explore more knife options / have already made their purchasing descision before check out.
Bunmei does have the niche of Japanese knives in stainless so maybe keep them....Keep selling Victorinox.
Don't take what I say too seriously though. It's time to expand and open another warehouse :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:14 pm 

In the restaurant business, many owners try to be everything for everybody. They want to please everyone. Often what they end up doing is watering down their brand.

It's best to define your niche. Do that, and do it well.

A menu with five plates, that are all outstanding will always beat a menu with fifty mediocre plates.

Margins will also go up, as people pay a premium for premium; but if you're a one stop shop, they will expect the lowest price only.

That being said, I see cktg as both. Some nice brands, exclusivity, custom work; vs. Vast inventory and entry level products.

Don't let us dictate who you are...just show us what you do best, and we will follow.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:40 am 

Mark,

I just looked at your best sellers and there isn't much there that I would buy. I guess that means I'm the wrong guy to ask. If I had to make a decision, I'd look at duplication in the midrange lines. Beginners want what's popular, aficionados want something very specific, but the folks in between just want something a little different and a little better. If you offer them two choices instead of four will it matter?

Richard

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next