It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:27 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Honing an Mk24 Heljestrand
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:40 pm 

Oh and great video too, Magnus! Really nice to see the style differences. Will try your style!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:47 pm 

well Mark. im gonna say what i can and Michiel can tell you what he thinks to :) the main diffrence betwin the thuri and coticule is that most ppl use the coticule as a progression stone and the thuri as a polishing/finnishing stone. the most turi stones are harder then coticule. but you can also finnish a razor on a coticule if you know what your doing.

i would recomend a coticule since you both get a slate on one side, witch is a belgian blue waterhone and that stone is around 3-4k in "grit" and the yellow coticule side depends on what breed it is, but you could say around the 8k "grit".

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:50 pm 

Thanks Magnus! Does the Thuringen still cut? (I think my barber does his razors on Thuringen stones only.) If so, have you got any idea what the comparative grit would be about?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:57 pm 

yes the thuri cuts but i would recomend that stone as a finnishing stone. the thuri would be anywhere from 10k-12k this is very diffrent from stone to stone and if you want one that cuts good you would probleby want a labeld escher thuri. witch is kinda hard to find in a good size. most of them are handstones. and if you find a big one you will be paying big money on auctions etc. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:00 pm 

you could say the thuri is a good finnishing stone, as a good touchup stone. but not a good progression stone since it cuts to slow for that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:25 pm 

Sounds like a good progression... Belgian blue, coticule, Thuringen. No syntheric stones needed anymore. Or is this overkill? The problem with finishing on a coticule for me is that the shave is a little to rough.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:48 pm 

yepp. you dont even need to use the belgianblue if you have a good combo in the yellow coticule and the slurrystone. but yes its a good progresstion. but i like jnat finnishing stones much better so i would get a asagi over a thuri any day. my set up is. 1k ss, belgian coticule, ozuku asagi. thou i have the thuri i get a better finnish on my jnat.

a cheaper way would be 1k,coticule with slurry and slow water added until water only and end on 0.5 micron oxide. a pretty comfy shave for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:41 pm 

Mr.Magnus wrote:and if you find a big one you will be paying big money on auctions etc. :)

Oops, yes, forgotten. Traditionally the stone used in my area, but nowhere to get anymore. Time my barber quits his job... (he is over 65 :) )

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:11 am 
Forum Moderator

Can't really add to Markus his posts :D

I finish on coticules often. Mostly with softer razors like Wade & Butcher and German ones. After the coticule, I finish on a 0.5µ CrO strop and that's it.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:52 pm 

Great video, thanks! Alot of good info.

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2