It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:22 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: First Gyuto?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:33 am 

Hi everyone & thanks in advance.. You have already provided me with hours of entertainment & a bit of knowledge... Although, my wife thinks I'm crazy staying up till 2am reading about metal hardness & blade shapes & sizes... I've warned her that I'm flirting with an addiction...

Well, back to my question...

I'm looking for first (of many?) Japanese knife... I've been using my Henkel's 4 star sine my first job after college (20 years).. I'm probably going for a 210mm Gyuto or maybe wa-Gyuto... I'm hoping to find one that I really "fall for" ... Most likely Damascus steel beauty with great looks & a great edge...

So, here's my answers to the standard questions,,,

I'm a home cook, mostly on the weekends... I'm hoping to spend $150-200 on my first knife... Really love the look of some Damascus... Am intrigued by some of whatever read of the high carbons... I do take good care of my knifes... My wife & mother-in-law won't be allowed to touch them (they have been known to put knifes in the dishwasher!!)...

Are you right handed? --Yes, I'm a righty.

Do you know how to sharpen? -- I have basic honing skills; I sharpen my current knives with a Spydero triangle sharpener... I don't plan on buying stones this week, but would be surprised if I don't in the future... (Would certainly love a lesson if anyone lives in the the Chicago burbs...)

Do you like to rock the knife or push cut primarily? Don't have a real style.. I've been practicing a bit... Planning on taking a lesson or two from a chef friend....

Do you want a stainless knife?-- as mentioned above, probably... Damascus...

Do you want to get a western handled knife or Japanese handle? .. Not really certain... I think I'd like to try Japanese... I'm a pretty big guy 6'2" with largish paws...

How much did you want to spend? $150-200..

Thanks... Any advice & pics would would be great!

Dave P.

Post subject: Re: First Gyuto?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:06 am 
Forum Moderator

There are lots of good choices! One of my favorites is the Tanaka Sekiso Damascus Blue #2 240mm Wa gyuto. Good size handle for bigger hands, carbon steel blade; blue #2 core steel with carbon damascus cladding. I have been using mine as a home cook since August and I have only stropped it 4 times so far. I prefer a 240mm to a 210mm and the handles are usually larger on 240's as well.

The AEB-L core Sakai Takayuki Damascus may be another good option:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadagy240.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadagy210.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:44 pm 

A lot of people start by thinking they want 210, but once they start using a 240, find it a pretty fast and easy transition. There are times when the longer length is really convenient. Longer thin knives end up handling more like shorter heavier ones.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:38 am 

Taz & Tad,

Thanks for the advice.. I'm officially looking for either a 210 Or 240 Gyuto... A good looker & top performer preferably Damascus.... Still hoping or more direction...

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:38 am 
Forum Moderator

Well, in that price range, most of the Damascus blades use Vg-10 as the core steel. IMHO, VG-10 is a mediocre (but very common) steel, but it's difficult to sharpen for many newer people due to the difficulty in removing the burr, and the edge holding isn't all that great compared to other stainless steels. The Sakai Takayuki Damascus I linked to has AEB-L as the core steel and it's much easier to sharpen than VG-10 and takes and holds a better edge, too. The Richmond Damascus knives are another series to consider, but higher than your budget.

If you want to try carbon, the Tanaka is an awesome knife.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, if you're not frightened by a carbon blade, try the Tanaka. In that price range, it's about as good as you get with a damascus cladding.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]