It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:58 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Need Gyuto Recommendation
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:19 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

Love your shop, can't wait to buy a new blade!

Need a bit of assistance. I'm looking for a new 210mm gyuto and I'm having a hard choosing. I'm looking for a westen style handle, high carbon steel content, and a thin blade at around $200. So far I'm considering the,

Masamoto HC Carbon Steel 210mm Gyuto
Konosuke HD 210mm Gyuto
Hiromoto AS Gyuto 210mm

I use my knives professionally and my go-to knife these days is a Dojo Nakiri, due to the sharpness, edge retaining qualities and its light and compact size. It's also made me want new, more carbon steel knife.

I also found this Sakai Takayuki on ebay and I'm wondering if you sell it or could give me any info on it? I didn't see it on your site,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Sakai- ... 560wt_1163

For some reason, it really caught my eye. I love that it's blue steel #2 (the dojo made me fall in love with it) and is around 63+ HRC (I emailed and asked).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jay

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Need Gyuto Recommendation
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jay,

The Hiromoto has the best steel of the group followed by the Konosuke HD. Either one of them is a good choice. I actually like the HD a little more due the the grind of the knife but it's a close call. I own both of them. :)

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/higykn24.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohdwa24.html

The Takayuki Blue 2 steel is one I've considered picking up but I just never got around to it. They're slow sellers in general but I've been intrigued by that knife.

Kind Regards,
Mark Richmond
ChefKnivesToGo.com

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:08 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks much Mark,

For some reason the cladding is scaring me off of the hiromoto at the moment. I love the AS blue steel, but I just can't pull the trigger on it for some reason.

I appreciate the correspondence very much. I too wish you stocked and had experience with the Takayuki blue #2. Seems like no one owns it, or even has experience with it. Maybe that's the problem. Would Takayuki send you one, as a distributor to test to see if it was a blade you wanted to stock? Takayuki has a good rep in the scene, funny no one has experience with the blue #2 line.

I'm not a big fan of VG-10 steel, and I fear the Kono HD will feel similar. Do you find this to be true?

Thanks again for the help Mark,

Jay

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:12 pm 
Site Admin

The HD steel is better than VG10 in my opinion. It sharpens like carbon steel knives and takes a little better edge. It's not a chippy as the aogami super but it won't hold it's edge as long. There are trade offs with all knives so that's the deal on the HD. The stainless cladding on the hiromoto makes it a little thicker than I would like but for most people it's not noticable. I've just become accustomed to thin knives.

If you want to try the Takayuki blue #2 I will be happy to special order one for you. It migh spur me to get a few for the store as well.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]