It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:32 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Richmond laser or the Takayuki grand Chef?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:40 pm 

Hey folks,

So im a bit torn between these two knives and was hoping a few of you could weigh in on it. I really like them both but wanted to know if anyone has an overall opinion on which one may be better. I love the steel and the handle on the laser and was about to just get when i came across the grand chef. Found some reviews but not much that was helpful is swaying me one way or the other. I do like the handle on that one as well, plus the kanji is cool for looks but that is not at all important to me. Edge retention, sharpness, f&f, and overall durability are far more important. So yea, if anyone has experience with either of these please let me know. Especially any of you who use these in a pro kitchen. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Richmond laser or the Takayuki grand Chef?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

Richmond Laser would be my choice. Really a fantastic knife...I was very impressed with it.

Not a pro kitchen either.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Post subject: Re: Richmond laser or the Takayuki grand Chef?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:01 pm 

I bought a 210MM Laser from Mark about a month ago. Love it! It's very lightweight, well balanced with great steel. Has a nice Wa handle in Rosewood which I like.
I posted a review.
Both have Swedish stainless steel.
The Lasers have Wa handles, the grand chef comes either Wa or Western, it's all how you roll...
I would say the most significant thing at least in the 240MM version is the height of the blade
The grand chef is 51MM high, I believe the Laser is 48MM
3MM is about a 1/16th of an inch.
So if knuckle clearance above the cutting board is a concern, all else being equal, The Grand Chef is your choice.
If the blade height does not matter, I would go with the Laser, which is exactly what I did.
Adam Marr hits the nail on the head.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]