It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:20 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: CCK 1303
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:42 am 

I purchased a CCK 1303 from CKTG a few months ago. I'm finding that I almost always reach for it over all of my other knives. This thing takes an edge as well or better than any other knife I have, the blade is thin and it cuts effortlessly.

Does anyone else find themselves in the same situation? I have knives that are 5x as expensive as this thing and nothing in my kitchen beats it in terms of function. These things are incredible!

Post subject: Re: CCK 1303
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:38 pm 

I know what you mean. I do a lot of vegetable prep so my cck is definitely well loved. It certainly flies through every vegetable I throw its way.

My only gripe with my cck is that it doesn't hold its edge very long so I feel like I'm constantly taking it to the stones. On the other hand, it sharpens up super quick and I always like getting some extra practice on the stones.

I must say I do have a sort of "primal" connection with the cck because of its bare bones nature and simplicity. Sounds kinda weird I know, but I'm sure others here have just as strange of feelings about their knives haha.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:02 pm 

I've had mine for about a year, and I've used it pretty much every day for heavy veg prep. The taller blade is nice for taller folks (like me) who generally end up stooping over standard-height prep tables. As backwards as it might sound, the weight at the tip really reduces wrist fatigue when you do a lot of chopping or push cutting.

I recommend taking the lacquer off the blade (it will actually form a pretty cool patina, and I found the lacquer causes a lot of sticktion.)
Also, it's a good idea to wax or glue the gaps in the handle, because they'll hold onto moisture when you clean it.
I massacred my tip when I wasn't paying attention one day, so I ended up rounding it out into a sort of massive nakiri. If anything I prefer it this way, since I don't have to pamper the tip so much.

As for the edge retention, I've never had a problem with it. I've kept it at about 15 degrees per side (it really doesn't need to be any more acute, considering how thin the blade is) and I use a smooth steel to touch it up. I've gone about a month before without taking it to the stones.

I would be interested to see what kind of steel they make them out of. It gets ridiculously toothy at around 6000, you can bust tomato skins all day.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:05 pm 

<> CED

what did you use to remove the lacquer?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:42 pm 

I loaded some coarse flannel up with swarf from a 1000 grit synthetic and buffed it out. It also helped to smooth out some of the rough grind behind the edge. I think the green side of a scrubby sponge would work too, albeit slower, if you just wanted the lacquer off.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:56 pm 

Which knife I choose depends on what I'm cutting - but yeah - I also love my 1303

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]